Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,240   Online: 834

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    2x2 lumber bought. Not much done today due to the weather in Georgia. Rain. Lots of rain. I have to cut all wood outside as the basement is finished so I don't want sawdust everywhere. I did uncover the table saw under my deck to trim two shelves.

1. I put in a shelf to hold the stereo. It's a small Aiwa that has been the darkroom stereo for many years. FM reception is wonky so I plugged in my 240GB iPod. Yay! Much better working with music going. The speakers will be wall mounted once I figure out where the safelights & other shelves will be located. For now they are just resting on the shelf.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tunes.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	77585

2. Put in the shelf to hold my SS developing reels - 35mm 120, 220, 127, and 110/16mm. I am missing a bunch of SS reels; they must be in my storage area. The 70mm reels go on a shelf under the sink. I have no idea where my 2.25"x3.25", 4x5, and 5x7 SS hangers are either . That 's the problem you encounter when you pack stuff up and put it in storage for 7 years.

Name:	ss reel shelf.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	77586

3. Mapped the rear wall studs. The rear wall studs are on 24" centers (non-load bearing) but the side walls are 16" on center as they are load bearing. Having a map of where the studs are makes life so much easier when framing out the sink supports and putting up the back splash panels.

If I get good weather tomorrow I'll start cutting wood!
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Today it snowed - in Georgia! No wood cutting. Peeled potatoes for tomorrow instead

Hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is interesting. I too came back from Iraq and built a darkroom and music studio in my basement. First Iraq go-round, not the second.

I'm following all these new darkroom threads with great interest, as we have a new construction and a dedicated spare bedroom plumbed and wired for the purpose of a darkroom. Maybe start in Feb or March.

I plan on putting everything on wheels, except the enlarger. Going through all the darkroom portraits, and I don't see many things on casters and I am wondering if there is a reason for this. I figure that if my light box/work bench is on wheels and the plywood sink is on wheels, with the plumbing coming from overhead, then I could just detach the drain and flip the sink over on its stand and marry it up with the workbench . . .for matting and framing.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but any thoughts on the wheels?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was in business, and now; I put everything possible on wheels. All work tables are the same height. When I needed to cut some long sheets of plastic, it took me ten minutes to put together two twenty foot tables with my table saw between them.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rich,

Welcome back! I trust you made it back ok. No worries on changing the thread a bit, it's all good.

My print drying rack is on wheels. I bought ten 24x39" window screens (fiberglass) from Home Depot and put two casters on one end of it. I just lift up the other end and roll it where ever I need a temporary work space. It's light.

Name:	print drying rack 2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	77694

The top is a 2 x 4 foot piece of 3/4" plywood. I made the table 30.5" tall.

Name:	print drying rack 1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	77695

I used wood trim that has a 90 degree bend to make the rails to hold the screens - from Home Depot. A bit of paint and it's ready to roll.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    About what is the square footage you are working with?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The main room is 10 x 11.5 feet or 115 sq feet. The adjacent enlarger room is 10 x 4 feet or 40 sq feet. Total is about 155 sq feet.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love hearing about new darkroom construction. Gives me hope for humanity...

I had everything on wheels (except the enlarger table), for years. It really helped making major darkroom cleaning easier.
    Rich- Rather than flip the sink, have a separate board which will cover the sink. Less chance of any unintended chemical transfer for your mat cutting, and no need to disconnect. Store the board away from the wet side, when not in use. A similar setup worked well for me when I had an efficiency apartment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Made some progress today. Got the rear wall film sink support frame started. I used 2x2" x 8' lumber which are really 1.5" x 1.5" and 3" fine drywall screws. The cross members were screwed to the long wall rail then the entire unit was screwed to the wall.

Name:	frame 1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	77872

The frame was positioned 6" above the floor. I cut four 6" 2x2 blocks that I use as spacers which helps getting things set up seeing that I am working alone. 6" clears the baseboards so you don't have to remove them.

Name:	frame 2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	77873

The entire frame will be 30" high and the sinks will sit on them.

Name:	frame 4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	77875

Next is to put in the bottom shelf. There will be a second shelf. The shelf will be made of 3/4" MDF board which will tie the entire frame together. The upright supports are 24" apart.

Name:	frame 3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	77876

I'll get the shelf in tomorrow. The hardest part is getting started and getting the initial framing in. Things will go a bit faster now (I hope!).
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony,

Fascinating thread, being temporarily without a darkroom (hope to move to the new house in April next year) I am devouring the darkroom threads and am deriving much inspiration. Thank you!
    Regards
    Charles

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin