Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,099   Online: 987

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Awesome job! Welcome home brother.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Drain Issue!

Ran into a big problem. The drain didn't work. In the rear left side of the main room is a 1.5" PVC drain pipe for my sinks:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drain 1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	78021

It is connected to a sump pump on the other side of the wall. The pump is for a laundry tub that pumps the water UP to the sewer line that is overhead. I do not have an in-floor drain. The unit is a Franklin-Electric Drainosaur:

http://www.franklin-electric.com/lit...Specifications

When we had our basement finished in 2009 the contractor installed the pump and it is totally enclosed behind drywall. It has it's own circuit with a 20 amp breaker. As I was out of state when the basement was finished I did not test the drain as the contractor had glued an end cap on it.

Now that I'm building the sinks, today I tested the sump. I decided to do it before I closed the drain area off with the second shelf. I'm ready to put in the 2nd sheld but doing so will make working on the drain hard.

Name:	Sink ready 2nd shelf.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	78026

I cut the end cap off and poured water in from a bucket. The sump filled up and did not pump. I checked the breaker - it was ON - and reset it. Nada. Crap. The pump is behind the wall in the enlarger room:

Name:	Drain 2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	78024

Yep, no easy access. So I crawled in by the bottom shelf and cut out an opening about 11x14" in the drywall to get access to the pump. After cutting away the insulation I could see the top of the pump. Sitting on top of the pump were the instructions! I could see the power cord so I grabbed to see where it went. Guess what? It was not plugged in!

Name:	Drain 3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	78025

I pulled the cord out through the hole I had cut and plugged it in. The pump works fine. I don't know where the dedicated circuit ends. I called the contractor and he is coming by Monday to sort it out.

I can't believe that they dry walled the pump in before they had finished wiring it up and left the instructions behind the wall as well. Mama Mia!

Now on to finish the sink frame.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oi. And it got drywalled it in without access. Not a good idea. Every pump will need maintenance at some point.

I'm enjoying watching your progress, I'm getting ready to do some renovations in my space, this is sure helping me get ready.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    Oi. And it got drywalled it in without access. Not a good idea. Every pump will need maintenance at some point.

I'm enjoying watching your progress, I'm getting ready to do some renovations in my space, this is sure helping me get ready.
    I had specified an "access" panel but they made it too small and too high. Gets access to the cut off valve required by code in-case check valve fails. My bad for not being clearer.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aoresteen View Post
    I had specified an "access" panel but they made it too small and too high. Gets access to the cut off valve required by code in-case check valve fails. My bad for not being clearer.
    Too high. Having worked in construction I'd say that likely explains it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rough drain complete

I finished up the last bits to get the rough drain line in. Glued in a 9 foot section of 1.5" PVC pipe. It runs to the right side of the rear wall as that's where the two sinks will intersect with a single common drain. Note the open floor at the far right side. This is to make sure if there are any drain leaks the water goes right down to the vinyl floor. You do not want a storage shelf under your drain!

Name:	drain 4.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	78031

I used a hanging strap at the right end to raise up the drain. Plenty of flexibility in the PVC pipe to do this. I glued a scrap of 2x2 wood to snug up the strap fit:

Name:	drain 5.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	78032

Three pieces of scrap 2x2 cobbled together for a center support.

Name:	drain 6.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	78033

Now to install the 2nd shelf and the rest of the sink support frame.
    Last edited by aoresteen; 12-06-2013 at 03:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I finished the film side sink support framing & shelves. The shelves were made from a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" particle board. It is important to screw the shelf to the frame. I used 1.5" #6 screws; pilot holes were drilled with a 3/32" drill bit. The shelf ties the entire 2x2 frame together and makes the support frame very strong. The sink support frame is 30" tall.

Name:	sink frame film side 1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	78170

Note the outlets that are high up on the wall. When I had the basement finished off I had these outlets put up high for timers, safe lights, and processors. I even had an outlet put in the ceiling.

The open end at the right side is for the drain:

Name:	sink frame film side 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	78171

The next step is to do the same thing along the right wall for the print sink. Construction will be exactly the same, so no updates until I finish it. This sink will be a bit longer that the one just built. It's starting to look like a darkroom!
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sink support frames complete!

I finished building the sink support frames today! No issues, just a lot of other things I had to do that kept me away from the darkroom.

Here's the right side first shelf in:

Name:	Sink frame right 1st shelf.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	78444

Here it is all done:

Name:	sink frame right finished.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	78445

Note the open space at the left end of the frame where it joins the rear wall farming. I realized that if I made the second shelf the same length as the 1st shelf I would have no access to the drain area and would not be able to hook up the drain after the sinks are installed! So I cut the 2nd shelf back from 96" to 80". I can crawl in under the drain area and work on the drain as needed.

From the doorway looking in:

Name:	sink frame right finished 2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	78446

And where the two sinks will join:

Name:	sink frame right finished 3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	78452

Next up: Building the sinks and the back splashes. Once they are in I will start painting it.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like your setup. before I moved 8 years ago, I had a darkroom that also had a wet side dry side. I had two enlargers, one for 35mm and one for 6x7. Where I am now, I'm on a septic system and never rebuilt the darkroom. Now all I do is film in my Jobo and scan to print. Looking at your work is making me miss my darkroom. maybe some day again. Enjoy yours!

Joel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Florida darkroom was on a septic tank (see my 1st post) Never an issue with B&W chemistry.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin