Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,047   Online: 757

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

At Last! Building Out My Darkroom!

In 2001 I moved to Florida and built a new home. I put in what I thought would be a darkroom that would last me for a long time. Here's the wet side, 16 feet long:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	darkroom sink.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	77375

The dryside/enlarger side:

Name:	enlarger side 1.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	77376

I could print 20x24 archival prints and enlarge up to 5x7 negatives.

In 2006 I was recalled back into the Army and deployed to Iraq in 2007. We decided to sell the Florida home and bough a new home in Newnan GA so my wife would be closed to family while I was gone. I had to tear out my darkroom inorder to sell the house.

The new house had a room set aside in the basement for a darkroom but I never had time to build it (2nd tour to Iraq and commuting to a job in Florida). Two years ago I managed to get the enlarger room built out. I just retired and I'm focused on getting the darkroom built.

I sent the last two days building shelves to hold 130 or so Carousel 140 slide trays.

Name:	trays on shelves 1.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	77377

From the entarnce door:

Name:	slide tray shelves insatlled.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	77378

The sink will be L shaped. The rear wall will be the film developing area and on the right side will be the print area. My goal is to have it done by Jan 15th.

This will be my 5th darkroom (not counting converted closets ) and hopefully my last. It will handle 20x24 archiveal prints and negatives up to 5x7".

As I make progress more photos will come.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony- Nice space. A couple of questions, though... Are you keeping cameras in the darkroom? Filled slide trays? I ask because I'm wondering if exposure to chemistry can have any effect on slides. I'm no expert, but I don't even store my enlarging lenses in the same room (probably being overly cautious about a moist environment), and store my paper in another room, too (after first hand experience with sepia toning fogging paper).
    Still, I'm glad you're home, and about ready to get back to the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good question. I have three external exhaust fans going when I print and have chemicals in open trays. I've never had an issue; and 99% of the slides are Kodachromes. The tray boxes are cardboard which is a significant barrier.

Would a museum do as I do? No but my slides are hardly museum quality
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony- Maybe they're not museum quality but they probably mean a lot to you, and your family. I'm not an expert on the subject, but it's something you might want to check. I'm sure there are knowledgeable members who can chime in. I had paper fogged, in their boxes/bags, when I spent about 7 straight days sepia toning prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting progress shots Tony. I began the same process two weeks ago by emptying the room that will become my darkroom and painting the concrete floor for dust suppression.
    You have inspired me to document the process as well. Today the first wall went up. Here we go!
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd be willing to bet that a large, well ventilated darkroom would be a better place to store slides than an un-ventilated closet in Georgia.

Looks great - hope it brings much joy.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First, thank you for your service!

There shouldn't be any concern at all about storing stuff in the darkroom unless you're using a polysulphide-based toner. Those emit hydrogen sulphide gas which "is a powerful fogging agent for all sensitized photographic materials - papers, and films." (quote from "The Photographer's Toning Book", by Tim Rudman)
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice set up. My concern would be since heat rises, not storing items like film/paper or existing negatives/slices up high, in a room. Also, I would monitor the humidity of the room. Usually, where you use water & sinks, the humidity would be higher, even if only periodically.

While they may not be valuable, if you have not discarded them, they must have some value to you. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks All!!

I have a dehumidifier that is run during the summer months for the entire basement as I have a lot of guitars stored there (the other half of the basement is a music studio). Humidity is not an issue. Jovo, thanks for the tip on polysulphide-based toners - I will watch out for that.

The slides are valuable to me for sure; so far they have held up very well. My Grandfather's Kodachromes from the 40's are still brilliant.

I have close to 100 rolls of exposed B&W film in my freezer dating back to 2006 including most of my combat photos from Iraq. I have to get those films developed!

Today I am buying 2x2's to start framing the sink support structure.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep us posted Tony and thanks for your service!

Jeff

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin