Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,965   Online: 801

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    Kodak's specifications for C-41 were 37.8 degrees celsius for dev, and then anywhere between 25 and 38 degrees celsius for rinse/bleach/fix/whatever. I still use this framework when I dev c-41 and get great negs, no reticulation or any nonsense like that.
    Good to know, I guess that's fine for me, I just make sure to do it properly with the developer. It can't be any worse than not having any images at all because I'm not developing them, plus the fact that the c-41 shots aren't as important to me since I prefer E-6 (or have so far, who knows this could change my mind
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Maybe this will help:
    http://jobo-usa.com/images/manuals/l..._roll_film.pdf

I know the illustrations are not that good, but you can still see how this reel works. Once you try it i am sure you will see what the "indents" are. Its not clear from what you wrote what exactly might brake. There is no bending or flexing to be done when loading.

When loading 2 up 120 rolls on one reel - you do not need to touch the film. You just need to autoload it all the way in, and make sure it is loaded all the way to the end of the spiral before starting to load the second roll.

I'm getting next info about the 1500 tank, some people say I can just get the water level up to it and others are saying that I can't use it with this processor because I don't have special rollers, so which is it?
    You must do BOTH.

You did not say where the magnet fell off.
    Often the cement adhearing the magnet to the main drive motor fails over time and any glue/cement would work to put the magnet back in place.

If you are referring to the magnet on the bottom of the tank - you will just need to put it back in place and tap on the tank gently to lock it in place securely.
    We have posted a video on how to do this.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    It's a shame that I will have to buy or look for a separate waterbath tempering thing, that's one of the reasons that I haven't developed as much of my color film, the water bath having to be so consistent is a pain in the butt.
    You could always fake it. You can get a container and aquarium heater to temper your chemicals. I am a procrastinator, so haven't done a few things I've been planning, but will finally develop c-41 before the new year.

I went to a local department store and bought a few aquarium heaters. By pulling off and repositioning the dial that controls the heat, I can set it higher than the "factory preset." I experimented in a bucket by using a good darkroom thermometer, and the heater can achieve the correct temp and keep it there relatively well. Many on APUG have written they do similar.
    A dedicated tempering unit would great, but I'm sure the above suggestion will be fine, especially as you start. As a matter of fact, even if you had all the brand-new high-tech equipment, and did dry-runs, I would still expect mistakes on your first outing. If you don't make mistakes, fine, but always expect them until you get the hang of anything.

Practice (with water) pouring, draining, and "rotating." Use a timer, and keep testing the temperature as you go along so you know how to compensate for your work-flow.

Oh and to the first poster who mentioned about having no excuse for paper, I never had an excuse for not developing paper, I had an excuse for not printing the paper, because I don't have a space to be able to set up the enlarger etc.
    That was me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi
    Let me be the first on this thread to point out you now have no excuse to not make optical prints
    Just a friendly little prod relating to another thread; kinda teasing you. I know you want to enlarge, but seriously, do some 4x5 B&W contact prints. It seems you will be getting reels and tanks for 4x5 anyway. If nothing else, it will be a great way to practice with your new machine. You can worry about "perfect" enlargements later.

Related to procrastinating, I will also finally get back into B&W printing this winter (after my first c-41 developing). I will have to blackout one window and light-seal around two doors of the bathroom to do this - all in a manner that I can undo easily after each session (i.e. - tape and blackout cloth). If I had a 4x5 enlarger, I'd go to the local home-improvement store, get some wood, wheels, and other hardware, and find a way to make a very low rolling base. It would be ugly, it wouldn't be plumb, but it would work.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "4. Don't bother with the 4x5 drum insert that has separate chambers for the sheets (like a revolver's chambers), it is known not to give optimal development."

I Know this doesn't apply to you since you've got the wrong machine but the above bullshit is simply not true.
    I wouldn't trust anything this person says regarding jobo processing.
    Last edited by wildbill; 11-24-2013 at 03:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    4. Don't bother with the 4x5 drum insert that has separate chambers for the sheets (like a revolver's chambers), it is known not to give optimal development.
    I am guessing this statement is referring to Expert drums. I can only say that "not correct" is an understatement.
    Expert drums are the industry standard as far as sheet film processing goes, and offer unparalleled results.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    "4. Don't bother with the 4x5 drum insert that has separate chambers for the sheets (like a revolver's chambers), it is known not to give optimal development."

I Know this doesn't apply to you since you've got the wrong machine but the above bullshit is simply not true.
    I wouldn't trust anything this person says regarding jobo processing.
    Yea, I was very confused about that too as I've heard nothing but positive things about the expert drums.

~Stone | Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yea, I was very confused about that too as I've heard nothing but positive things about the expert drums.

~Stone | Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It appears I am mistaken, although I have read numerous accounts of the 2509 reels (even admitted by jobo) giving increased density on the edges of film.

I apologize for any confusion, I was simply relaying what I have read on LFPF and photo.net in regards to issues with 4x5" roller processing.

No need to say that my knowledge of my own processor is completely invalid.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

JOBO Processor care package... Now what?

It appears I am mistaken, although I have read numerous accounts of the 2509 reels (even admitted by jobo) giving increased density on the edges of film.

As for "not having the right machine" I'm not sure what you're talking about, wildbill, as far as I know the CPP2 can handle any and all drums, expert or otherwise.

I apologize for any confusion, I was simply relaying what I have read on LFPF and photo.net.

Well considering everything that you just said in the statement is also wrong, I am starting to question the rest of your answers LOL

First off, I have the CPE processor not CPP2 so mine is different and doesn't take the expert drums...

Two the 2509 reels ARE NOT the expert drum "gun revolver looking" processors... The EXPERT drum is the gun revolver, the 2509 is the one that my multitank 5 uses which I have heard aren't as great for some films because of the issues you mentioned, however I'm not buying a new processor NOR the expert drums anytime soon even if I would prefer the expert drum, it's just not in my budget (hence taking this CPE at rock bottom prices...

Also, you're taking heresay and not actual experience, AND quoting photo.net... Not the best source LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everything is wrong? The only thing I was mistaken about was the 4x5 tank, man. IN MY EXPERIENCE doing double 120s is a bitch, and I don't bother, the only "heresay" was on the singular aforementioned point, which I already identified as an error on my part. I love my CPP2, I use it every time I'm in my darkroom.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

I apologize for any confusion, I was simply relaying what I have read on LFPF and photo.net in regards to issues with 4x5" roller processing.

No, the 2509 reels do have issues sometimes, they are nothing to do with Expert Dums which are really like a revolver with a set of tubes encased in a cylinder.

Stone, The processor you have is as stated a CPE, the tempering bath that accompanied it is called a TPE, they were later merged to become the CPE2.

I have a TPE but use it for my 35mm and Roll Film stand and semi stand processing as the film tank sits in the waterbath and temperature is maintained over the development time.

I also have a CPE2 which I no longer use and would have been ideal for you but for two exceptions, 1) it is 240 volt and 2) it is in the UK.

The reason I no longer use the CPE2 is that a year or so ago I was fortunate to find a late model CPP2 with lift in mint condition on ebay for 450 Euros delivered from Germany, I really lucked in with that and since buying it have no longer any need for the CPE2.

So, you need to keep a look out on ebay or Craigslist for either a TPE or a cheap CPE2.

Oh and to those that say they do not use a Jobo reel to process 2x 120 or 2x 20 exp of 35mm on a single reel, I do it all the time and it does not cause me any problems.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin