Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,286   Posts: 1,681,190   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3e8

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Relay to protect timer from 120v converted chromega D

I recently converted the halogen lamp in my chromega to 120V with a 300W 120V halogen bulb. It works fine when plugged directly into a wall outlet, but when I attempt to use it with a timer, it blows the fuse of the timer. I'm guessing the inrush current is just too much, so I'm looking to wire in a SSR and just have the timer provide the switching current and the power current from a wall outlet. I'm just not up enough on electronics to calculate which SSR I would need. Could someone help me figure out what specs I would need for the SSR?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Relay to protect timer from 120v converted chromega D

I used one of these http://www.mcmaster.com/#general-purpose-relays/=pis43f
    To protect my timer. They also sell a handy enclosure to make a neat installation at
    The bottom of the page. Medium amp relay is what I selected on the McMaster car link, for some reason the
    Link goes to all the relays available.
    Regards
    Erik

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 3e8 View Post
    I recently converted the halogen lamp in my chromega to 120V with a 300W 120V halogen bulb. It works fine when plugged directly into a wall outlet, but when I attempt to use it with a timer, it blows the fuse of the timer. I'm guessing the inrush current is just too much, so I'm looking to wire in a SSR and just have the timer provide the switching current and the power current from a wall outlet. I'm just not up enough on electronics to calculate which SSR I would need. Could someone help me figure out what specs I would need for the SSR?

Thanks,
    Bryan
    Use an SSR rated for at least 120VAC but not more than 240VAC and at least 5A but preferably not more than 25A. I would want to pick one with 125-145VAC or so and 10 to 15A rating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any particular reason to use a Solid State Relay instead of a regular electromechanical?
    SSRs switch faster than regular e/m relays, but in general the pickup and dropout time of electromechanical is the same, so it won't affect your timings. (ie if it takes 20ms to switch on, it'll take 20ms to switch off, so the light stays on the same length of time)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What timer do you have that won't handle 300w? For the price of a relay, maybe consider a timer upgrade.

3e8

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    What timer do you have that won't handle 300w? For the price of a relay, maybe consider a timer upgrade.
    I'm using a RH Designs Stopclock timer, which is rated to 500W, but with the new bulb, as soon as the timer switches on, it fries the fuse. The same thing happens with a Gralab 300 as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contact RH Designs Stopclock timer and ask them for help. They should be able to advise. Something is wrong here since the Gralab is rated at 600watts.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My Analyser (230V) has a T4A fuse - it says so on the casing. This is a "time delay" fuse rather than a "fast acting". You are replacing with a T fuse? because a similarly rated fast-acting fuse may blow when a T fuse won't.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Any particular reason to use a Solid State Relay instead of a regular electromechanical?
    I was wondering that too. Most SS relays I have seen need a low dc voltage on the input which would mean wiring it internally to the internal relay driver. A normal relay would be much easier to connect and wouldn't entail any modifications to the timer.

The obvious answer which I couldn't possibly condone or suggest includes the words 'fit', 'fuse' and 'bigger'.

Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    My Analyser (230V) has a T4A fuse - it says so on the casing. This is a "time delay" fuse rather than a "fast acting". You are replacing with a T fuse? because a similarly rated fast-acting fuse may blow when a T fuse won't.
    But check this first!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is a simple way to fix your problem. Radio Shack or other electronic supply store will have the relay. The rest is easy junk box parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails relay.JPG  
    Gun Control is like: Reducing drunk driving by making it harder for SOBER people to buy cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin