Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,486   Online: 1073

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What others said, a fine machine. Even if you don't find one with the new style lamp holder, you can get almost any replacement part for the V35 from Kienzle. A drop-in LED VC cold-light module can be had for about 550 Euros from Heiland Electronic (that's about 15 bulbs worth over here) - it's a stand alone module, you don't need their splitgrade-controller either. Going for an early model + LED head might be another consideration if you are doing B/W only. Apart from the lamp housing and the optimized mixing box the early and late machines are practically identical.

The 1C is very good too. Doesn't have bulb problems and looks like a MoMA piece or weird steampunk prop

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of my friend came form India to visit me and saw Ic standing on my washing machine(then) and thought 'what a weird water pump do you have at home?'
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good tip on the Heiland cold-light LED - thanks! Where does one get one - directly from Heiland in Wetzlar?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, the Ic certainly looks cool. I'm just nervous about fighting very old equipment in the darkroom.
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbaty View Post
    Yes, the Ic certainly looks cool. I'm just nervous about fighting very old equipment in the darkroom.
    Don't worry about it. Unlike the V35, which must be sent to Leica for repair, there are people other than Leica who are actually willing to repair the older Focomats, and the quality of the prints is not less than from the V35. It's slightly different, because they are condenser enlargers, while the V35 is diffused light source, but you just develop your negatives differently, and it's not a problem.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About the only thing that can be damaged on a IC is the bellows. Well, unless you drop it.
    Just like the V35 though, it has to come with the negative holder; they're pretty pricey by themselves.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I may also recommend Leitz Valoy II.

I personally prefer simple machines when it is doing the same job, more or less.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    I may also recommend Leitz Valoy II.

I personally prefer simple machines when it is doing the same job, more or less.
    And the V35 is extremely simple to use as well.

But yes, the Valoy machines are wonderful too!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are three available on eBay - all in Europe, all a bit pricey. Does the V35 have a dual Power Supply (120/220v)? Something to be aware of and consider.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you want a 35mm autofocus enlarger for color I think the V35 is a no brainier.
    HOWEVER
    If you want an 35mm autofocus enlarger for B&W I think there are 3 other models to very seriously consider.

Leitz/Leica 1c
    Leitz/Leica 2c
    Durst Micromat or M35

They are all older press enlargers and are very low maintenance items. They are so robust I dont think their age is a serious consideration. The Leitz 1c can be had frequently and cheaply on ebay. The Leitz 2c also does up to 6x9 and demands a premium, but what a great tool. The Durst Micromat or later called the M35 is the less known sleeper of the bunch....someone has one for sale on ebay now for $90. For B&W there is not a looser in the bunch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin