Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,239   Online: 1076

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rthollenbeck View Post
    ...They are all older press enlargers and are very low maintenance items. They are so robust I dont think their age is a serious consideration. The Leitz 1c can be had frequently and cheaply on ebay.
    One thing that would concern me, with respect to the 1c, is whether it's truly working properly. Looking at photos, I see springs, cams, etc - lots of small bits and pieces. Since so many sellers are not knowledgeable about what they're selling, how does a buyer who is not familiar with the 1c know that it's "all there and working" (beyond the obvious negative carrier, lensboards)?
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    One thing that would concern me, with respect to the 1c, is whether it's truly working properly. Looking at photos, I see springs, cams, etc - lots of small bits and pieces. Since so many sellers are not knowledgeable about what they're selling, how does a buyer who is not familiar with the 1c know that it's "all there and working" (beyond the obvious negative carrier, lensboards)?
    No doubt missing parts or broken items from un-knowledgeable seller are can be a problem no mater what enlarger (or other item) you buy.
    With any Autofocus enlarger you should look for one with matching lens/cam serial numbers....... If your auto-focus enlarger does not Auto-Focus whats the point?
    I would look and/or inquire about the lens type, vintage, and condition as well. AND BE SURE ITS THERE
    I would check on the baseboard condition for warping and de-lamination.
    With Leitz enlargers, Easels are important accessories that really add to the value.
    On Leitz enlargers I would look for easel locking hardware, it is nice to have and nearly impossible to come by second hand.
    On all of these press enlargers, the condenser needs to be checked (doubly so since it rests on negative) they are sometimes chipped or damaged.
    Negative carriers are hard to come by on all of these. Be sure its there. A replacement often demands the same price as entire enlarger.

It is much better to buy from someone who used it, since they are in a better position to attest that it works properly and is not damaged but at the same time you may find one for sale for next to nothing and it may be worth the risk that it does not work.......But we all should know the rules of buying a used car apply here, no one can tell you every thing to look out for.
    I read somewhere recently that someone bought an enlarger that looked A-KO and found it was bent and couldn't be aligned. How do you look out for that second hand? There is even some possibility the owner was not aware if it was in storage or they got it elsewhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    .... Since so many sellers are not knowledgeable about what they're selling, how does a buyer who is not familiar with the 1c know that it's "all there and working" .............?
    Its called trial and error.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's really no problem using other mfrs lenses. Everything is adjustable. From the factory it's set up for a 1" base easel. Again this can be compensated for.
    The Leica easels do lock to the base board but are only two bladed so if you want borders on all four edges you wold have to mask for them. The lens mount is a standard 39mm thread.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Good tip on the Heiland cold-light LED - thanks! Where does one get one - directly from Heiland in Wetzlar?
    Jerevan, yes you can contact Heiland directly. They are very friendly and patient answer all questions and offer a great service. I bet they are shipping worldwide too. Btw. here's the link introducing the V35 LED module (scroll down to bottom):

http://heilandelectronic.de/news#new_products

This review has some close ups:

http://www.rolfadam.de/LED.htm

Best,
    Andi

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    There's really no problem using other mfrs lenses. Everything is adjustable. From the factory it's set up for a 1" base easel. Again this can be compensated for.
    John,

I know the baseboard height can be adjusted as you say BUT it is my understanding from speaking to people at Linhof and Durst (Long ago in the past) that these "Cams" were ground to match an individual lens (not just the specific model but the individual lens). Now I wouldn't be so bold as to say I have tested or verified this mind you...Just that I was told by a source I trusted enough to assume what they said was fact. I would have assumed on my own that focus distances for different model lens would have some variation.
    So If what I say is true:
    I would think there is even greater variation among different makers 50mm enlarging lens and different types by the same makers. Anyway my assumption is that setting the baseboard height is not enough if you change lens model.....although the focus maybe close.....the focus "curves"=cam are different from one 50mm type to the next.

I could be wrong. It sure wont be the first time.
    Last edited by rthollenbeck; 11-28-2013 at 09:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    The Leica easels do lock to the base board but are only two bladed so if you want borders on all four edges you wold have to mask for them. The lens mount is a standard 39mm thread.
    With all respect, this is wrong. The fixed top and left sides provide for large white borders. The paper just slips under the metal and there are adjustable stops

Addressing the concerns about the 2nd hand Focomats 1C being complete: I have seen many (like 20 or more) and the only things that were sometimes missing are the lose parts: anti newton glass and negative holder . . . and about them working properly: any one with even little technical skills (like me) can clean these beautiful machines and make them work.

Just find one that looks like it was well treated

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you very much for the additional information, Andi!

It looks really good.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    There are three available on eBay - all in Europe, all a bit pricey. Does the V35 have a dual Power Supply (120/220v)? Something to be aware of and consider.
    Good point. Mine has a transformer with multiple taps and dial to set the voltage: 110/120, 220/230V and 250. Frequency doesn't matter in this case. However it seems not all models have this:

http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm#Wiring

It's a straight-forward classical transformer though, you could have one custom wound for a couple of bucks, use an external step-up/down box, or rewire it for the use with an external stabilized 12V power supply (as shown in the second picture in the link above).

Best,
    Andi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rthollenbeck View Post
    John,

I know the baseboard height can be adjusted as you say BUT it is my understanding from speaking to people at Linhof and Durst (Long ago in the past) that these "Cams" were ground to match an individual lens (not just the specific model but the individual lens). Now I wouldn't be so bold as to say I have tested or verified this mind you...Just that I was told by a source I trusted enough to assume what they said was fact. I would have assumed on my own that focus distances for different model lens would have some variation.
    So If what I say is true:
    I would think there is even greater variation among different makers 50mm enlarging lens and different types by the same makers. Anyway my assumption is that setting the baseboard height is not enough if you change lens model.....although the focus maybe close.....the focus "curves"=cam are different from one 50mm type to the next.

I could be wrong. It sure wont be the first time.

Having used the Focotar and Nikkor f2.8 on a IC personally would suggest the cam is adjustable. It's pretty similar to the IIC.
    The Nikkor's a bit more contrasty.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin