Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,805   Online: 848

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Considering a Focomat v35

I am looking to replace a malfunctioning 23C with something I will use exclusively for 35mm. I have 2 other enlargers, one is set up for 6x6 and one is for 4x5 so I'm lucky enough to dedicate another to 35mm.

I am thinking that the Leica/Leitz Focomat v35 looks like a terrific option. They are not easy to find and get pretty expensive, but I'm willing to invest in something nice if necessary.

Is there any reason not to consider a late-model v35 if I can find one? I looked at the Focomat IIc also and while they look like great gear they're all getting pretty old by now.
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the V35 is imo, the best 35 enlarger out there. have used condensers and diffusions in professional labs and the V35 is just the cat's ass love mine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    the V35 is imo, the best 35 enlarger out there. have used condensers and diffusions in professional labs and the V35 is just the cat's ass love mine
    Yes, what he said.

Before I got a V35, I used a Leitz Valoy II. Small and well built, very simple. With a modern lens, it makes prints that sing and have character. Worth looking at if you're on a budget. Make sure you get the anti newtonring filter or condenser with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    +1
    It's a formidable machine.
    Be sure to get a negative carrier with yours, they are quite expensive if bought separately.
    Also be sure to get the modified lampbase to use the newer 13139 lamp (instead of the 6604), get some spare lamps also, they were discontinued but still available. In the future, it's very likely that we will be able to replace this lamp with a LED lamp.
    Finally, there are two different diffuser/condenser assemblies, search for the one with a protruding dot on one corner of the diffuser window.
    Marcelo

The harder I work, the luckier I get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a later model V35 is a wonderful machine. I use one for all my 35mm prints, with EFN lamps as a substitute for the 13139 (I do have a couple 13139s but I have no problems with the EFN...so no harm no foul). It is important to make sure it is a late model that takes the 13139 and has a carrier though...
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really love the V35 I'm using. It handles like a dream, and if you shoot a lot of 35mm you will be amazed by it. The 40mm Focotar lens is great to 16x enlargement, and 'good' with bigger. That means 16x20 prints from 35 that really sing.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I really love the V35 I'm using. It handles like a dream, and if you shoot a lot of 35mm you will be amazed by it. The 40mm Focotar lens is great to 16x enlargement, and 'good' with bigger. That means 16x20 prints from 35 that really sing.
    Agreed, it's wonderful out to 16x20, and even at 20x24 it's solid. Sure an APO-Componon HM 40/2.8 would be better, but so is a APO 50 Summicron ASPH. versus my 50 Summicron Dual Range.

I'm not in any hurry to upgrade.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two V35 and they are really great. Just be careful about which lamp they use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone. You've confirmed my suspicions. I'm off to find one!
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Focomat Ic is no bad either, if you find one with a filter drawer.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin