Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,877   Online: 932

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I can get about the same effect with a piece of tubing and a cork. However, cascade it is called so cascade it is.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nonetheless it seems like a pretty handy thing. Thanks for the info everyone, better try a test run before I use it with film!

I still have to figure out some way to make it fit my water source as well.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As that sketch #1 in the manual shows,a 1/2" nipple with flange should fit. From there you should be able to go anywhere.
    Alternative try to fit a shower hose, or go via step-up nipples and tubing.

EDIT:
    With that shower hose I refered to adapting a Cascade to a bathroom installation, not just putting the shower house directly onto the tank.
    Last edited by AgX; 12-02-2013 at 09:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

The Cascade is different because it uses air bubbles to do most of the washing, not just water alone. Sure you can just shove a hose down the centre column of a tank but there is a possibility for some stale spots inside the tank where little fluid is replenished, so the Cascade was designed to force a lot of air bubbles into the tank where the inside is vigorously agitated.

While it washes the negatives very well along with low water consumption, I only use it when I fix my films with hardening fixer. Otherwise, I use the Ilford 5-10-20 method; after all as an Australian I tend to be quite frugal with water.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes you are right. A laminary flow might produce spots/areas of lesser washing (similar to some artefacts seen in rotational tank development).

The ventury principle implemented in the transparent part of the Cascade adds air bubbles to the water streaming through the reel.
    On the other hand are we just afraid of air bubbles in the reels during rotational processing. So it depends what works out best to deliver best diffusiion in each application.
    Last edited by AgX; 12-02-2013 at 09:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mohmadkhatab View Post
    My dear brother, how did you get those great machine,,, I'm thinking of buying one, I'm trying to gather information about the cost.

Could you help me in this matter?
    Does that machine to show the potential and the development of the "positive film."
    please keep in mind, there is nothing simpler than film washing,after 2min in washing aid, just insert the hose into the developing tank and slowly let fresh water enter the tank for 10 min; wipe off ecess water between two fingers and hang to dryin a dust-free warm place;done. forcefull washing is not required. even if you was the film in Niagra falls, if would not wash any quicker. a slow constant supply of fresh water is all it takes.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you use a plain hose, it will wash well, but air bubbles will form and block proper washing. So, with a simple hose, one must tap the reel about once per minute to break up the bubbles and promote good surface water flow over the film.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If you use a plain hose, it will wash well, but air bubbles will form and block proper washing. So, with a simple hose, one must tap the reel about once per minute to break up the bubbles and promote good surface water flow over the film.

PE
    so what keeps these bubbles from forming in film washers?:bli
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The hole in the Jobo cascade washer is a "breaker" or some such name. It makes the small bubbles form larger ones and the large bubbles do not stick to the film (or paper). They tend to float off. However, I find it a good idea to check the film for tiny bubbles even with the Jobo washer.

Oh, and the Nitrogen burst agitation introduced by EK for color processing served a similar purpose along with agitation.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That hole is necessary to yield that venturi-effect.
    (That effect is only to be obtained with a tank connected to it. The flow-rate with the water level adjusted between those marks is about 3L/min)

Whether those added bubbles interfer with possibly all existing bubbles is still the question. As this apparatus is employed in the last bath consistant bubble-forming on the film will not be visible in its outcome. As will the effect of bubbles (at high flow-rate) or the lack of them (at low flow-rate or even better with closed hole) not be visible.
    Without further tests on the emulsion layer we just have to thrust Jobo that those added bubbles are beneficial.

(Terminology: I have it about a venturi-effect or even venturi-apparatus. Actually the thing is not designed that way, to produce large suction force. Rather to make bubbles. And this it does by injecting its water stream at high velocity into the dammed-up water from the tank, and taking with it air out of that transparent casing. Thus it is better called an injector-system. That hole is the way for that air to get in.)
    Last edited by AgX; 12-04-2013 at 07:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin