Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,100   Online: 1216

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    If uneven development is an issue. He just didn't mention that. That's all.
    I guess I'm just trying to give good advice to others, that help them achieve good or better results.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    True dat.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder if there is an actual problem such as uneven development that OP is trying to solve?

I use metal tanks also and takes probably 15 seconds or so to fill and empty. I've never seen any problem in the end result. I keep my development time greater than 5 minutes as that's what Kodak datasheet says. I find, if I tip the tank a little and aim at certain point in the opening, AND regulate the speed of pour, I can get good flow rate. I try not do it too fast where it starts to "burp."

If this question is a result of reading somewhere, uneven development could result from slow pour in/out and OP is not seeing an actual problem, then I'd not worry about it so much.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wrong thread... delete

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have no problem filling tanks. It takes 15 sec to load but also takes 15 sec to drain so my dev time is the same each n every time... It all works out. Besides a few seconds really makes no difference.

Just be consistant!
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I wonder if there is an actual problem such as uneven development that OP is trying to solve?

I use metal tanks also and takes probably 15 seconds or so to fill and empty. I've never seen any problem in the end result. I keep my development time greater than 5 minutes as that's what Kodak datasheet says. I find, if I tip the tank a little and aim at certain point in the opening, AND regulate the speed of pour, I can get good flow rate. I try not do it too fast where it starts to "burp."

If this question is a result of reading somewhere, uneven development could result from slow pour in/out and OP is not seeing an actual problem, then I'd not worry about it so much.
    I never claimed the OP had any such problems. I said I had such problems. It took me a long time to fill the tank, and that I was able to fix my problems by putting the film into an already full tank, instead of pouring the chemistry into the tank.

Do with that information what you will, and if you DO have problems with uneven development, this could be a factor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    When you fill the tank it is right side up. When you empty it it is inverted. All the film gets the same time in the soup either way. I think you might be overthinking this a little.
    The first 1 minute of developing has a greater effect on uniformity than the last 1 minute, Chris. This issue is one of several reasons I choose to use film/dev combos with fairly long development times. And of course it's always a good thing to keep up on best practices.

Welcome back BTW, Chris!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't get this uneven development argument at all n i have been developing film for 50 years with perfect results.

I can understand if your development time is very short, less than 3 min, then 15 seconds may impact eveness. Hey, come on here, it taskes the gelatin about a minute to absorb the chemicals n get to work.... It's not an imediate on contact reaction.

But if you are developing for longer times, 15 seconds is nothing to fret about and won't make any difference in the final result.

Uneven development?... Dilute your developer a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ron View Post
    I don't get this uneven development argument at all n i have been developing film for 50 years with perfect results.

I can understand if your development time is very short, less than 3 min, then 15 seconds may impact eveness. Hey, come on here, it taskes the gelatin about a minute to absorb the chemicals n get to work.... It's not an imediate on contact reaction.

But if you are developing for longer times, 15 seconds is nothing to fret about and won't make any difference in the final result.

Uneven development?... Dilute your developer a bit.
    If you don't have a problem, great! You are not the person who needs help.

Those who DO have problems might, though, and that's my point.
    I had uneven development problems. And I cured it by lowering the film into an already full tank. If somebody else can benefit from that info, I thought it would be handy if somebody provided it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And if you read my entire responce, you'd see i gave advice learned from 50 years of experince.

Your rediculous solution simply defeats the purpose of using a daylight tank... WHY??? Duh hugh?

So why are you having such problems?... Might stem from your lack of reading comprehention, no common sense, or you've been watching too much television.

Btw the photo of the pines is beautiful!

Nice job...
    :-)
    Last edited by paul ron; 12-07-2013 at 05:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin