Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,389   Online: 1092

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Stainless tanks- how to fill faster?

So I got used to Paterson tanks where you literally dump in liquid and it fills instantly
    With my 240mL SS tank, it takes a good 15 seconds to get the developer in. Is there a pouring technique I don't know about?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always tip my SS tank and pour chems in. Somewhere from 30-40degree angle and don't try to dump it in all at once. It only takes about 5 or 6 seconds to fill a single 35mm tank. Also, check the fluid level of your tank with the reel in and the top off(no film of course) to see how much actual chems you need. If you overfill the tank you won't get proper agitation. You only want to just cover the reel so there is an air space. Fill to just covering then dump liquid into a measuring vessel to get a reading.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in the 60's the stainless steel tanks had lids which were very slow to pour in chems, they were redesigned with more faster ones for pouring chems in, maybe you have one of the older slower ones. Think mine take about 5 or so seconds to fill the double 120 reel tank (28-32 oz.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Tank lids that have circular vents (pour in the middle, vent around the edge) usually are faster to fill than those that have a diagonal split vent.

Images
    Good Morning, GarageBoy,

The time taken to fill or empty the tank is normally relevant only to the developer solution because that's when the timing can be fairly critical. It's not difficult to work around the problem. At the end of the pre-soak, kill the lights, pop the tank top, dump the water, pour in the developer, replace the tank top, turn on the lights, and proceed. Do the same thing at the end of the developing step, except for dropping the reels into the film washer and using the time the developer is being washed out to rinse the tank and the top before pouring in fixer. After the reels are back in the fixer and the top is back on, timing isn't particularly critical, so the slow dump and fill times won't matter much.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are worried about filling and emptying the fluid content of your developing tank, then consider this alternative:

Use tanks that already has the liquid in them, and use lifters to transfer the reels from one tank to the next in darkness.
    This completely eliminates the risk of uneven development due to pouring liquid into the tank.

Obviously you need more than one tank for this, and a different working method, but it is a better way of uniformly coating ALL of the film with chemistry within a split second.

Edit: Or what konical said above.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As previoudsy mentioned the key to rapid filling is to tilt the tank slightly to facilitate air escaping as the tank fills. The tank can be filled with the cap off and then in the dark the reel inserted and then the top put on. Of course you need a room that can be used as a dark room.

However if you considered what happens during filling and emptying the following happens. During filling the film at the top of the reel receives a bit more contact time with the developer. However during emptying the reverse situation occurs. The two situations tend to cancel each other out. So don't worry.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have been using the same ss tanks for forty-two years usually doing two 120 rolls in the 1 liter tanks and as mentioned tilt the tank when filling and emptying. It usually takes about 8 - 12 seconds. I never worry about it since developing in ID11 1:1 @ 68F takes fourteen minutes it is a very small percentage and I have not noticed any adverse effects such as over development or too much contrast on my negatives.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hack the system by killing the lights, pull the top and pour in the pre-measured amount directly. Re-cap and ready to roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The cap serves as a good stand to perch the tank on - the angle works quite well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin