Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,883   Online: 1035

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I appreciate the injection of philosophy into the question Tom, but I don't have to do what I have to do. I can make choices to do and not do things that minimize my exposure to damages=financial loss that I can't afford. If I could, I'd just fill the fuel oil tank and keep my house heated while I'm gone. There are hundreds of things in my house I'm not worrying about and only a dozen or so that I am.
    Thank you for seemingly being appreciative to some degree with the spirit in which I posted that. Personally I don't think it's the best idea to let everything go cold. I think you'd have a clean-up problem upon return, and the equipment will all age much more quickly.
    But I weighed that as I would weigh it, on a scale pertaining to money. I've never been to Minnesota. Northerners like that are a hearty breed. I'd freeze. It gets unimaginably cold up there. You folks certainly must be tonning a pile of money into heating prices. I'd go broke the first month. So, with that, I said what I said. GL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably just saying the obvious but if you have any liquid chemicals you might want to store them in some kind of plastic tote container in case they leak. Easier to cleanup.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    some darkroom chemicals should not get much colder than 50F or you run the risc that some ingredients fall out of solution and are difficult to disolve again, which would ruin the solution.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I'm thinking of letting my house freeze this winter, and am curious if this will damage anything. My understanding is that most older electronic equipment can stand freezing, as long as you warm them up slowly and don't operate them when cold. I doubt if anything in my darkroom is less than 25-35 years old. A dry mount press. A super chromega head. An old Beseler timer. I'll probably leave a camera or two behind and some lenses. It will likely get down to 20-30F below zero at times. But I'm thinking they will all probably be fine if the house is warmed up gradually. What do you think?
    You'll be better off to keep the house at a low but constant temp.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    You'll be better off to keep the house at a low but constant temp.
    I know that. But I will still use at least several hundred gallons of oil (at about $4/gallon) even if I turn the heat down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Now that I think of it, I dated someone who's family had a vacation cottage in Northern Michigan. They'd let it freeze between visits. Not as cold, but still relevant. They did not have a darkroom, but never had an issue with electronics - including VCRs and TVs.

I'm not sure how extensive your dark room is, but if you have anything that is questionable, would it be difficult to take it with you, or leave with a nearby friend who is not leaving the area?
    Truzi

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Happy ending. My house froze solid for 2 months down to 20-30 below Fahrenheit and I had no troubles at all. Even the mixed chemicals in plastic bottles and unopened Rodinal survived intact, though I can't vouch for how well the mixed chems work yet. Some friends were telling me things like "oh, your drywall will crack" and other such nonsense. Nothing bad happened at all.
    Nice work. You have a very talented computer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin