Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,516   Online: 1123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Leitz Condensers - Are the Valoy and Focomat the same?

I have a Valoy, and may be adding a Focomat 1c. I cannot find any answers online about the condensers: do the Valoy and the 1C use the same condensers? I have a nice clean one already, so if I don't need to be to careful about finding a clean one in a 1C, that would be an advantage. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure about the original Valoy but I think the Valoy II has the same one. I seem to remember reading that the antinewton filter that covers the condensor is interchangeable between the valoy ii and focomat 1c.

Shooter
    35mm
    I doubt it, but will check later on, I have them both. If the condensors had been interchangeable, then surely we'd have a lot of buzz about the later version Valoy II Anti Newton condensor being ok for the 1C. (one wouldn't need the 1C AN glass then)

Pstake has got it right that the 1C AN glass fits the Valoy II condensor. But I have the feeling the Valoy II condensor is a smaller unit.

I would not worry too much about the 1C condensor. If the enlarger has been well treated, the condensor should be ok. And even if it does have a little something, it doesn't mean you'd always see that on your prints, on the contrary. Just check the condensor well, wash it in warm water with dishwasher soap and a small soft sponge, rinse well. Dry it with soft and clean cloth. You can also ask the seller to do this.

The problem with many 1C condensors is that they have a very even, almost invisible, layer of dust on the top. But they're easy to remove and easy to clean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, it is what I thought: the Valoy II condensor is half the size of the 1C condensor.

Picture attached
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Valoy II & 1C condensors.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks, Hilo! Apparently I have a Valoy I then, as my condensor looks more like the right one in your picture.

Shooter
    35mm
    You are welcome !

Perhaps you can see the Valoy II condensor is "frosted", meaning it was treated to eliminate Newton rings. It comes from a dark grey/blue Valoy II.

Anyone out there who knows if the original Valoy perhaps had an identical to the 1C condensor?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just picked up a cheap condenser and AN slip-on glass from a Focomat, and they are NOT compatible with the original Valoy. Not a big deal. More interestingly, I picked up what looks to be a 1B on ebay for $60 shipped. Anyone know anything about this one? Almost no information about this model online anywhere that I can find.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    I just picked up a cheap condenser and AN slip-on glass from a Focomat, and they are NOT compatible with the original Valoy. Not a big deal. More interestingly, I picked up what looks to be a 1B on ebay for $60 shipped. Anyone know anything about this one? Almost no information about this model online anywhere that I can find.
    I know that it was less sturdily made than the 1c.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think there was a combined Focomat 1C and 1B sales catalog, or manual.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is a book called Leica Darkroom Practice/ the Focomat Manual. It concentrates on the V35, but has a good historical section that covers earlier models. I'm sure it will have something on the 1b.
    Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin