Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,743   Online: 888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Dry Mount press price?

Dear all,

a photographer who is about to retire made me an offer to buy his dry mount press:

Seal 3444H, 70x100cm (30x40inch), in good condition, I guess about 20 or 25 years old. some mounting tissue included. He asks 950€/1300$ for it. I find that a bit steep. We are in rural Germany, there is very little demand for such a thing (although i want it very much)...my estaimate were about 300€/500$...what to you think about the price?

Thanks for your info,
    Best,
    JH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is only worth what you are happy & willing to pay.
    To another person it might be worth €950.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a 16x20 inch one for $100 a year or two ago, so your price of $500 would be close to proportional and reasonable. Look at closed auctions on ebay to see how well something doesn't sell, especially something difficult to ship.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I think that it is too expensive. Although a new one from Monochrom will cost 3.000€, when they come up on eBay they go for around 3-500€ and are always buyer collects. That means that if he were to action it, the only potential buyers would be from your region.

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing is that they are not very common in Europe. However, it does seem a bit too much. I paid around 200€ for the smaller model a year ago - and that was including international freight (within EU).
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys for the helpful replys! that will help in my negotiating!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was offered a Vaccu Seal for around 350 Euros including pump and base frame last year. But it was heavily used. I picked up a lightly used 500T in good condition for around 400 Euros this summer. I too think 950 is too much unless it's in rather excellent condition. However those VaccuSeals are usually heavily used because they tend to stand in BAUHAUS stores or professional framers shops. In the end, it's what you are willing to pay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Offer what it is worth to you and not a penny more.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dry mount presses are tricky to figure on a value. New they are crazy-expensive. They are big and heavy, and therefore difficult to ship which means that when selling a used one, it is best if you can find a local buyer.

I have a Seal 500T (36" x 24") which I got from a commercial framing shop. I paid $400 for it, about 6 years ago.

The 3444 is a vacuum press - as opposed to mine which uses mechanical pressure - it may be that the vacuum press is less weight and easier to move? This might increase the value of the press.

Bottom line - if there is nobody else who is interested in buying it, then 300€ is probably a good deal for the seller, but if there is, 950€ is probably not so bad of a deal for you.......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since you are so rural.... Because they are so heavy no one wants to ship it.. Too expensive. so they hardly ever sell fast n sell cheap... As a come pick it up item. Is this a local sale?... Bargain it down for the amt saved in shipping a 150 pound cast iron machine.

In big cities, it sells as fast as it hits the advertsement page so competition brings the price up.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin