Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,786   Online: 914

Shooter
    35mm RF

Paterson Auto Colortherm - Recommendations?

Hi there,

First post here, so please go easy if I make any mistakes or my post is too long (very excited to get started on here) .

I am in the middle of creating a darkroom for both B&W and E6 colour slide films (but prints from only the B&W). I have been able to develop my B+W using a normal developing tank in my bathroom, but I have no yet been able to do so with E6 because I have no easy way of getting the chemicals to and at the temps required.

I have been thinking about this issue for a long time (I really like E6, but I am also quite fond of my wallet and it is expensive to produce by lab here, so I really need to be able to self-develop if I can continue to use) and I settled on buying a sort of manual control tank heater. While scouring Ebay I found a very cheap Paterson AutoColourTherm film and print processing tank. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these:

-Are they good for developing E6, could they get up to the required temperature (around 38 degrees)?
    -Would I also be able to develop B+W films and prints in there if I wanted to, and if so how complicated would this be?

I appreciate any recommendations, and thanks to APUG for this great forum!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wonder why you think you are unable to get to & maintain temps for such short periods of time? there are myriad threads on APUG from users developing C41 and E6 using only the equipment they use for b&w; I've done C41 myself that way. A kettle, a thermometer and a large bowl are all that's required for perfectly good results once you have your chemicals (whether kit or homebrew).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Paterson Auto Colortherm and highly recommend it, especially for the temperature stability required for E6 processing. I think it operates at a much higher temperature range than you would use for B&W processing. There is no real point in using it for B&W.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I was able to get stable temperatures using those things, but it took quite a long time. It might partly be inexperience but I do not have that much time for film these days, and so if I cannot develop fairly quickly, I don't think I would do it for that long vs B+W.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    I have a Paterson Auto Colortherm and highly recommend it, especially for the temperature stability required for E6 processing. I think it operates at a much higher temperature range than you would use for B&W processing. There is no real point in using it for B&W.
    Ok, the temperature stability is exactly what I am looking for.

RE: B+W, I think I misunderstood what this did when I posted this. From brief reading of manuals etc., the way I understand it now is that the Colortherm is just a temperature control unit. Is this correct?

Also, I heard some complaints that you could only heat about 300 ml per "session" () and that this was only enough for 1 35mm? Is this true?

And I was wondering what the difference between this and the Jobo CPE2 would be (thats the alternative I am looking at)?

Much Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kaantuncel View Post
    And I was wondering what the difference between this and the Jobo CPE2 would be (thats the alternative I am looking at)?
    The main difference is that the Jobo CPE2 has a much larger support backdrop: Parts and service are readily available, Drums and reels for the system are currently in production, and the fact the Jobo system is fairly popular and common the level of support in the community you will find is greater.
    The capacity of the CPE2 is larger, and more versatile (you can also process 4x5 sheet film or up to 8 rolls of 35mm/120).
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thank you for all of your replies. I decided to get the Paterson tank, and should (hopefully) be happily processing E6 by next week!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin