Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,063   Online: 1123

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Cleaning Dirty Print Washer

I "won" a print washer (link below) that needs to be cleaned. It almost looks like algae or other crud from the photos. Assuming the dividers don't come out so I won't easily be able to scrub them is there some kind of solution I can use? I was thinking some kind of mild bleach solution.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you tried bleach? Worked on my rather nasty looking trays.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Gerald,

I’m grabbing at straws here because I haven’t done this myself to my print washers. Jobo sells a cleaner for their plastic processors (CPP-2, etc.) that does a fantastic job. You mix it in and let it work all night. Admittedly you can add heat there but it might be worth a try. They offer a 4 oz size which would make sense for you and a
    4.7 pound size for frequent users of the bigger processors.

Here is what B&H says about the 4 oz size.

“Jobo Processor Clean II is a non-hazardous, environmentally safe cleaner for color
    and black and white processors.
    It helps to keep algae in check, along with breaking up mineral deposits that can damage the mechanical parts of your processor.
    Makes 4oz of cleaning material (which you mix with a lot of water)
    Mixing and application instructions are included on the package label. “

Good luck,

John Powers

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    How about "CLR". The name stands for calcium, lime and rust. I've used it a lot in non-photographic applications (cleaning the coffee maker etc.) and it works really well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For my Zone VI washer, I periodically use bleach to get rid of algae. For Ca/Mg salt build up I use CSR.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This one is a "dead ringer" for my Gravity Works washer, and the inserts do come out for cleaning, so it's mostly the crevices and narrow end chambers that need cleaning. Bleach on a gauze, rubber banded to a long plastic wand works in the tiny spaces. Just don't use anything abraisive.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for all the responses. When I get it I will get a better idea of the problem and see if it comes apart. It looks as if it is missing a hose probably the intake one.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I agree with John on this one. I use CLR full strength. I did this yesterday to both my washers, I put the stuff in without water in the unit, fill up with 80degree water , let stand for one hour, then drain though the bottom, then wash for another two hours, Here in Toronto I find that I have to clean these units 2-4 times a year.
    I have not tried bleach ,but have done so on regular trays and it works, so I cannot think why regular bleach wouln't work as well

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If "Jobo" forbids bleach for cleaning their machines maybe you should too. Acrylic cleaners exist. Acrylic drums (scanners) can develop "reactions" that you wouldn't want when the wrong thing is used (Windex-like cleaners, and ammonia containing cleaners).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I won a Nova 16x20 cheap. It had a lot of stains on it. I bought a cheap box of denture cleaner. Dumped 1/2 the box in the slots, and added water. Waited a day. Repeat process next day. Afterwards, I filled it up again, and added bleach. It was clean as heck after that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin