Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,691   Posts: 1,669,448   Online: 1028

Shooter
    Medium Format

Focomat v35 vertical column adjustment does not work

I just received a Focomat v35 and am trying to calibrate autofocus by adjusting the column height to match my easel. Rotating the adjustment knob on top of the column does nothing (and I have loosened the retaining knob on the side of the column). I removed the enlarger from the baseboard and see that there's a nut on the threaded adjustment rod but the nut and rod just spin freely. I cannot seem to figure out how it *should* work. I'm hoping someone has a photo of how the mechanism looks when working correctly. The only image I found on the web is at the bottom of this page: http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/v35.htm. It does not really show the rod clearly enough.

I don't suppose anyone has a better photo?
    ----
    Jack Baty
    Director of Unspecified Services
    http://jackbaty.com | Flickr
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't help except to say that I don't rely on the autofocus on my V35. I focus manually every time and it's not much of a hassle, and then I have the satisfaction of visibly seeing the grain snap into focus. Autofocus is the only reason to adjust the column for the height of your easel.

Unless your doing large, quick quanitites of prints (as in olden days of newspapers), there's not really any reason you should need the speed of autofocus.

Just my 2 cents.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Can you snap a few pictures of exactly the section you're talking about?
    I have a v35 and can maybe figure out what you're missing or need to do, though I don't really want to take it apart too much.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    I can't help except to say that I don't rely on the autofocus on my V35.
    I have been manually focusing so far and you're right, it's not much hassle. I'd still like to be able to take advantage of autofocus if possible. It's a neat feature of the v35.
    ----
    Jack Baty
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbaty View Post
    I have been manually focusing so far and you're right, it's not much hassle. I'd still like to be able to take advantage of autofocus if possible. It's a neat feature of the v35.
    Another pseudo-useful piece of information:

The V35 is the only enlarger Leica will still service ...

But the cost of shipping it and servicing it will undoubtedly be high. Like others, I'm not keen on dismantling mine to take a photo.

That said, I have had excellent luck getting information from Leica USA. If you email them the problem, they may help you with photos and/or a service manual.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pstake View Post
    Another pseudo-useful piece of information:
    That said, I have had excellent luck getting information from Leica USA. If you email them the problem, they may help you with photos and/or a service manual.
    That's a good idea.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone actually disassemble their enlarger to take a photo. Just hoping that someone might have one off the baseboard already. Long shot, probably. I will try contacting Leica.

Thanks
    ----
    Jack Baty
    @jackbaty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to message me your email address, I will email the user manual. Probably won't help with this current conundrum but might be useful to have.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the carcass of a v35 that I haven't had the heart to throw yet. So I can pull it apart and film/photo. It's not the best time of year to find the time, so hope you're not in a rush.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I've done after releasing the retaining knob is to rest my right elbow on the base board and grip the column, then lifting the column while turning the adjustment knob.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin