Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,102   Online: 997

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    I used to curse a blue streak whenever I loaded those things. Then I discovered the technique of keeping your fingers in those cut outs and jostling the film back and forth whenever the end come around. That made it barely bearable.

Now I've gone back to Stainless because I think that intermittant agitation is best for B&W processing and loading SS is a dream.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I don't have any problem with them unless they are not entirely dry... Like most reels, any 2 year old with 20 years experience can do it....
    Regards,

Wally

Member:
    National Sarcasm Society
    (like we need your support)

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Why not find some realy out dated film, sacrifice a roll, and practice in the light to see what it is that you are doing wrong? if you can do it in light, close your eyes and practice doing it in the dark. Much easier than getting frustrated each time you are in the darkroom.
    Yes, thanks Aggie. That was the second thing I tried (after cursing). Was fairly easy to do in the light; I guess I am just out of practice.

Thanks for everyone's help.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    35mm
    I tried a sacrificial roll in mine in daylight a few months ago, and found that I got the best results if I cut very small triangles off the leading corners at about a 75 degree angle (cut off a triangle that is about 2mm along the edge of the film strip and 5mm toward the center of the film, if that makes sense).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've a Jobo tank and reel on the shelf. I chalked it up to
    too little tolerance; reels a little on the minus side and a
    film a little on the plus side and NO GO. Dan

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

front edge curl

Quote Originally Posted by Stan. L-B
    But, I do bend the edge of the film back against the natural curl for about a 1/4". No problem provided the reel is dry and not bent or otherwise distorted. Just do it again and again with a spare film until you get the knack. Godd luck. Stan. L-B
    Stan has the answer here.

I shoot a lot of 220 as some of my panorama cameras don't take 120 as it's too short in length. It took a while to figure out it was the slight curl at the start of the film that was causing the jams in the reels. It's worse too with old film, it seems to have a tighter curl set into it.

So for me the answer was to clip the corners slightly and bend the front edge back and crease it, not too much though. Makes a big difference!

Clayton

Thanks everyone.

All of the suggestions have helped me great. Thanks to Apug! The biggest issue was the film was getting stuck every 360 degrees, right under the finger indents. Cutting and folding like Clayton has suggested make a big difference. Starting to love my Jobo processor more and more now.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg
    The biggest issue was the film was getting stuck every 360 degrees, right under the finger indents.
    Don't forget to use your fingertips to feel the end of the film each time it comes past the indents and push it side to side to guide it through. This made a big difference for me.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I should have mentioned in my earlier post this thread
    that I did use that Jobo reel with two rolls of film with no
    problem. That third roll may have been cut over wide; it did
    not fit. Over wide film? They must vary some. Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin