Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,094   Online: 1062

Shooter
    Multi Format

Beseler 4x5 Enlarger 116 Negative Carrier 2.5" x 4.25" ?

I was going through my grandfather's B&W negatives from the 30's & 40's and figured out that they are mostly 116 2.5" x 4.25" size. Does anyone know if Beseler ever made a negative carrier for their 4x5 enlargers that would handle this size 116 film?

If so do you know the product number? Otherwise I guess I'll have to use a 4x5 glass carrier and mask off a bit.

Thanks!
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beseler still has a web site with very limited information. You could try contacting them.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't answer your question but I'd love to see some of the resulting prints. Really like the 116 and 122 formats -- and I'm always curious to see examples on real 116 film from one of the old cameras.

In my beseler 2c with a 105mm lens, I can just barely enlarge a 116 negative. I made my 116 carrier out of two hinged double black matboard windows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you cannot find one (if the ever made one) how about finding a 3.25x4.25 & modify it. Or start with a 2.25x3.25 and cut it out to fit. Another possibility would be if you found another brand carrier in the correct size, perhaps it would work in the Beseler. In the end, glass might be the easiest solutions. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all. Besler is closed until Jan 2nd (I did call them first )

I have consider sending SK Grime a 6x9 carrier and have them machine it out to 2.5 x 4.25" but wanted to know if I should hunt. SK Grimes made me an Xpan (24mm x 65mm) negtive carrier out of a Beseler 23C 35mm carrier so I know that they can do the job.

NedL,

Try a 135mm lens on your 235 and the 116 negative. A 105mm can't really cover it.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aoresteen View Post
    NedL,
    Try a 135mm lens on your 235 and the 116 negative. A 105mm can't really cover it.
    Of course you're right, it's really pushing it with the 105... the bellows are all the way out and the edges are almost lost! 122 negs are "crop only" since they are wider than the opening in the negative stage. Cheers and good luck with your quest!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The simpler way to approach this would be make a simple mask. Inside dimensions to crop to the negative. Outside dimensions to fit within an existing carrier (ie. 4x5).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With my 45 I used a single glass 4x5 carrier with black masks for smaller formats for years without issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I spoke at length with Beseler and all they know now are what they currently sell. Stephen McFadden left Beleser when they moved and Beseler lost their institutional knowledge. They do have a few old price lists but it's not organized at all.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin