Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,890   Posts: 1,520,844   Online: 1153

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaseline

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear bvy,

Tanks are really inexpensive. If you have one that leaks due to damage, get a new one. Compare $40 with the price of a single roll of film, the time and effort you spent carefully composing and exposing your images, and the cost of transportation to and from where you made the exposures.

Neal Wydra

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    How about a silicon solution? You can get variations in tubes for all sorts of things
    How about getting a new tank?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    The Patersons with the 'tupperware' style lid shouldn't leak, and the previous version must be at least thirty years old by now so . . . yes, time to replace the tank perhaps.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Tanks are really inexpensive.
    No kidding! I'm still considering going to get these ...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pho/4216680993.html
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. My tanks are newer, not even a couple years old. The Paterson tank lid has no threads -- it's the "Tupperware style" lid mentioned above. It takes some time to get it on properly -- time that should be spent agitating -- and I think a thin layer of something (like Vaseline) would help it pop quickly into place. Maybe. Even so, brand new ones are prone to slight leakage. I have two of them, and it's the same with both.

Also, one of my Unicolor drums has a slow leak. I've read that a little bit of Vaseline around the gasket will slow or stop the leak.

I appreciate the practical considerations, but mostly I want to make sure the goop won't retain chemicals over time and processing cycles -- or migrate to film or paper if used very sparingly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try cutting some new gasket material. Not necessarily replacing the extant ring, but to help it seal a bit better - though I'm not sure what to use. I only have a few plastic tanks (I prefer steel), but is it possible storing the tanks with the lids screwed down too tightly may hurt the sealing ring?
    Truzi

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    Polygem and others make flexible epoxys. Polygem site check out zoopoxy. They have flexible that is enviro save enough of making artificial vines for the monkey enclosure. Very safe with standard handling while not set. Benign once set.
    Thank you for that hint. I never saw anything like that over here. Only the classic epoxies and those concentric putty-strings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a vague thought, but why not try a coating of wax on the section of lid or ridge that provides the seal?
    Since it won't be in the tank itself, but the seal........

Ski, car or even canning wax. Remember.......Wax on, Wax off
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the "leaky" tank problem with a brand new Samigon knockoff of the the original Paterson style tanks. I traced the leak to a too small gasket ring that goes between the lid and tank body. To fix the problem I cut the gasket and spread it to fit the tank lip, then filled the gap with black silicone caulk. I braced the gap with 2 SS needles inside the silicone fill. Still works today, I just don't roughhouse the gasket.

Shooter
    35mm
    Vacuum grease is used for O-rings. You can get it @ Amazon, and it lasts a very long time. I use it on the bright parts of my Leitz 1c enlarger. Chip

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin