Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,410   Online: 1115

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaseline

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Vaseline

Occasionally I read of people casually suggesting to use Vaseline to deal with leaky Paterson tanks and print drums. Presumably, then, there's nothing in petroleum jelly that could contaminate developer. But could the stuff retain traces of other chemicals -- like bleach and fix?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would think that it would retain traces of chemicals, if only on the surface of it. Myself, I don't like the sound of something like this. If chemicals can leak past the lid, then a lid smeared w/ Vaseline could leak Vaseline into the tank. I have a Paterson System 4 tank and it leaks, but not too much. I just live w/ it. I do the inversions over the sink and always use long gloves when I'm developing film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ennnh, methinks petroleum jelly has a habit of migrating everywhere and I'd rather not have it near anything involving film handling.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have sealed a leaky tank in the past by using quick setting epoxy resin adhesive. In fact I still have a stainless steel tank with a hairline split along 1" of the base which I repaired some 12 years ago and it is still liquid tight.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How about a silicon solution? You can get variations in tubes for all sorts of things

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lightwisps View Post
    How about a silicon solution? You can get variations in tubes for all sorts of things
    Even worse at migrating the vasolene. If either one gets on the film before it is processed it will prevent development wherever it sticks.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Put a piece of electrical tape around the seam, if leaking bothers you. Keep the Vaseling for dipping your MIG nozzle into (welding).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Polygem and others make flexible epoxys. Polygem site check out zoopoxy. They have flexible that is enviro save enough of making artificial vines for the monkey enclosure. Very safe with standard handling while not set. Benign once set.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would go along with silicon sealant, was the previous poster Lightwhisps mean in that. easier to use than Epxoy resin as well, Why didn't I think of that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If my tank was leaking at the threads, I would just wrap it with some Teflon tape prior to lights out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin