Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,668   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Darkroom Sink: what do I need?

Any thoughts on what is the best cheap sink to go in a darkroom? Would I be okay with one of those big plastic utility sinks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am just finishing up the first darkroom I have had for 30 years (damn kids!). I have plenty of space. I did not have the time I would need to build it out the way I thought it should be, I had to rely on the handy guy I use for minor construction projects. I just sort of let him at it, told him where things needed to be and he came up with the solutions. He came up with an interesting sink idea. There is a plastic mat material used in the construction of shower stalls. It is pretty thick, and is 48" wide (sold by the foot at Home Depot, etc). With a few pieces of plywood (OSB in my case, even cheaper), a few 2x2s and 2x4s I had a 30" wide, 17' darkroom sink a day later. He cut a hole on the low end and put in a shower grate to a drain pipe. The base is screwed into a wall, so it is very stable and the mat material runs up the wall about a foot to provide the backsplash. The mat is simply folded at the corners and screwed to the sides. Water tight and up in a matter of hours.

When I built my own sink years ago I used plywood covered in marine epoxy with one end open dumping into a plastic laundry sink. Worked perfect.

Have fun. You don't have to spend a lot of time or money to get something very functional.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What kind of processing will you be doing? What size prints? Will you use it regularly or occasionally?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    plywood sinks .. marine wood coated with fiberglass resin
    are easy to make. i miss the one i used to use ..
    i currently use a long plastic sink that i wish i never bought and installed. lol
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

That's what I have

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    plywood sinks .. marine wood coated with fiberglass resin
    are easy to make. i miss the one i used to use ..
    i currently use a long plastic sink that i wish i never bought and installed. lol
    I've been using it for over 30 years. Took a while for that resin smell to go away though.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ah but I love my stainless steel garage sale find.

Had a bit of fun making the support out of 4x4's, so it's solid as a rock. Learned my lesson too late that you really need to have a bit of slope towards the drain, so I had to shim the left side up a half inch.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear rubyfalls,

The cheapest sink is whatever is presently at the nearest plumbing location. My print washer drains into a laundry sink as does the Kodak tray siphon for the odd occasion where I print larger than 11x14 (the tray sits on the washing machine next to the sink).

Of course I would love a nice sink. I have the cash but not the room. If you have the room but not the cash, keep an eye out on Craigs List for a bargain. I've often wished I could pick up ones that have been presented for sale.

Neal Wydra

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyfalls View Post
    Any thoughts on what is the best cheap sink to go in a darkroom? Would I be okay with one of those big plastic utility sinks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pick one of the twopoly carbonate sinks from Delta Ihave for sale.They are 4 and 6 feet long.and get the Intellifaucet while you are at it.I'm open to all reosanable offers.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends where you live and what your budget is. Homemade is just as good as already made if you have basic woodworking skills. What size are you looking for?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you go the route of building one as mentioned above (plywood/polyester resin) as I did almost forty years ago and it is still in service I suggest you design it so that it will accommodate some removable panels to cover it when not in use as a sink. You will then have additional counter-top for other use such as cutting mats etc. Be sure it slopes toward the drain and is of reasonable depth (10 inches) to prevent splash issues. An inline cartridge water filter is also a good idea.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin