Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,453   Online: 710

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Marvin View Post
    "Thanks for the update, I thought all the Bs were 6X6 and the C were 6X9 and the D were 4X5 "

I think Omega was a bit inconsistent with their "B" and "C" designations; there were "C" 6 X 9 models early on and, I think, later "C" 6 X 7 models.

"I think it's a B-7; on my B-8 the lift lever to raise the head off the negative stage is located on the opposite side (left side looking from the front)."

My B-8 has the lift lever on the right also; I think it was moved to the left on later production machines.

Also, my B-8 came without a filter drawer, but I was able to get one, and the part that holds it, from a partial B-8 being sold for parts on eBay. It's not essential, but I do prefer it to an under the lens filter holder.

There are too things I especially like about this enlarger, compared to others I've owned:

1. The inclined column, which makes it easier to print larger

2. The rotating negative carrier, so that the image I'm printing can always be laid out horizontally on the baseboard–no need to rotate or re-set the easel.

Also, it's really sturdy; pretty much like a 4 X 5 Omega D-2, but 1/3rd smaller.
    1. I never realised that until now

2. That's one of my favourite things about it too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    35mm
    I never paid attention to this before but it looks like some sort of conversion has been done to the light.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, and it looks like a very good job. Whatever bulb it now takes, I'd suggest getting several extras. I fear that incandescent light bulbs are really on their way out–a good thing for the environment, but a possible problem for specialized uses, where CF or LED bulbs can't be substituted.

Shooter
    35mm
    The lens that came with it, the other one is the same only 75mm. Good or bad, what do you think?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    The lens that came with it, the other one is the same only 75mm. Good or bad, what do you think?

Ok for small enlargements and to get started printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Wollensak enlarging lenses, as opposed to their camera lenses don't have a great reputation. I vaguely recall reading long ago that their were serious errors in their design. However I used a 90 mm Enlarging Raptar for 6 X 9 negatives for a while and it seemed fine. You might as well try them.

If you ever decide to buy better six element lenses (Schneider Componons, Rodenstock Rodogons, El-Nikkors, etc) they're usually available used for pretty low prices. The lens discs for the Wollensak lenses have openings smaller than the 39 mm that's standard now, but you can easily enlarge them with a round rat-tail file if you don't want to look for 39 mm discs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Marvin View Post
    Wollensak enlarging lenses, as opposed to their camera lenses don't have a great reputation. I vaguely recall reading long ago that their were serious errors in their design. However I used a 90 mm Enlarging Raptar for 6 X 9 negatives for a while and it seemed fine. You might as well try them.

If you ever decide to buy better six element lenses (Schneider Componons, Rodenstock Rodogons, El-Nikkors, etc) they're usually available used for pretty low prices. The lens discs for the Wollensak lenses have openings smaller than the 39 mm that's standard now, but you can easily enlarge them with a round rat-tail file if you don't want to look for 39 mm discs.
    So would any more modern lens would work if I can get it to fit? I have a mate with I lathe and I'm sure he can sort something out for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, newer lenses would work fine. I use a 50mm f2.8 El-Nikkor, a 60mm f 5.6 Schneider WA Companon, an 80 mm f4 Rodenstock Rodogon, and a 105 mm f5.6 Rodenstock Rodogon with my B-8.

Omega lens discs with a 39mm opening are available; the B-8 uses the same disc as the D-2 and they're plentiful, at least in the US, but it's easy to enlarge the openings in the discs you already have. Still. you may be happy with the Wollensaks and they're worth trying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Wollensak enlarging lenses should be fine to get started with. If you start doing lots of large prints, then a better/newer enlarger lens may be of interest to you. Good Luck
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have later model Wollensaks, 50 mm, 90mm 135mm the rapiar and a 160 (sp?) these are 4 element lens all are sharp at F 8, but just very slow and rather dim. I tend to newer lens like a 50mm 2.8 Minolta but at times I just like the looks of the Wollensaks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin