Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,485   Online: 926

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Simmons Bros Omega B Enlarger

Hello there from a darkroom noob, a couple of months go I came across this enlarger for sale locally in Belfast and I jumped at the chance. However, it didn't come with any instructions and it came with a few different parts so I don't know exactly what combination to use.

2 film holders 35mm and 120mm (this part is easy )
    2 lenses, 50mm and 75mm
    2 lens trays/holders, one flat and one deep.
    2 different sets of condenser glass, one set is bigger then the other.

Can anybody help me out with this enlarger?

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A fine but older enlarger, nice outfit, what are your questions?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    A fine but older enlarger, nice outfit, what are your questions?
    What lens/condenser/lens holder combination for 35mm printing and what combination for 120mm?

At the moment I'm printing from 120(and I'll probably stick to medium format from now on) and I have the bigger condenser glass, the 75mm lens in the deeper lens holder set up.

Hope that question makes sense

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The enlarger appears to be an Omega B-8. (it also might be an autofocus B-7–the picture isn't that clear). I bought one [B-8] about seven years ago and think it's a very good enlarger; probably the best medium format enlarger Omega ever made. It's the fourth enlarger I've owned (over 50+ years) and I'll never need a better one.

To answer your questions:

1. the 50 mm lens is for 35mm negatives, the 75mm for 6 X 6 negatives, from 120 film. The enlarger will work with up to 6 X 9 negatives, but that size needs a 90–105mm lens.

2. the 50mm lens goes with the flat lens board; 1he 75 with the deep lens cone. Both should have round lens discs attached, to which the lenses are attached.

3. When you say "2 different sets of condenser glass, one set is bigger then the other" I hope you mean four glass condensers. The two large ones are the main condensers which fit inside the aluminum tube just above the negative stage (where the negative carriers go). They go flat side out; there should be an aluminum spacer between them, which MUST be used.

The two smaller condensers are supplementary, used alone; the thinner one for the 75mm lens, the thicker for the 50, none at all for a 90–105mm lens used for 6X9. They go (flat side up) just under the lamp housing (which comes off if you loosen the set screws). They should have one flat edge, which makes them easier to remove. My 50mm supplementary condenser is an after-market one. not made by Omega, without that flat side and requires a small suction cup to take it out.

The thick condenser is really needed for the 50mm lens. The thin one may not be essential for the 75 (and certainly isn't for an 80mm lens–I used an 80 for years without one, before getting the VERY hard to find thin condenser.

You can find more information about the enlarger here, on the KHB Photografix site (click on "Discontinued enlargers" and then on "Omega B8":

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/index.html

And on Harry Taylor's website:

http://www.classic-enlargers.com/omega_b22_enlarger.htm

Harry also has a "Help Forum" which is very useful:

http://www.classic-enlargers.com/cgi...?board=general

Unfortunately, he is quite elderly and seems to have stopped responding to questions several months ago, but the archives are very valuable for anyone interested in Omega enlargers.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think Bob covered the information, all I can add it that it apprears you have a filter holder under the lens board and set of polycontrast or Dupont filters, the filters may have faded over the years and if they are Dupont will not mach modern multicontrast papers and will need to be replaced. You might want to replace the power cord if it is orginal. What lens do you have? The B 22 was an upper end enlarger in its day, but if you older uncoated slow lens, consider replaceing your lens set. I dont see a timer, do you have a timer?

Shooter
    35mm
    Awesome information, thank you.

I'm more then happy with it, I bought the complete set up including many extras for just £45 on eBay but the funny thing is I actually knew the person selling it from some 12-13 years ago.

I've been trying to find out some info about the original owner by without much luck. He wrote his name on the thermometer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    I think Bob covered the information, all I can add it that it apprears you have a filter holder under the lens board and set of polycontrast or Dupont filters, the filters may have faded over the years and if they are Dupont will not mach modern multicontrast papers and will need to be replaced. You might want to replace the power cord if it is orginal. What lens do you have? The B 22 was an upper end enlarger in its day, but if you older uncoated slow lens, consider replaceing your lens set. I dont see a timer, do you have a timer?
    The power cord looks fine and I've had a mate fit a kettle plug at the end that is now plugged into a Phillips timer. It did come with an old set of ilford filters that aren't much good. I bought another set on eBay (in the box in the photo) but I made the mistake of washing them lol. I'll have to hunt another.

I'm away from home at the moment, I'll have a look at the lenses when I get home, i do know they're 50mm and 75mm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One minor point PDH; this is clearly a B-8 [or maybe autofocus B-7] a much better enlarger than a B-22. The B-8 (& B-7, etc.) and B-22 share the exact same lamphouse, but the B-22 has a thick single girder column, not a twin girder like the one pictured) and only handles 6 X 6, not 6 X 9. AFAIK the lamphouse is the ONLY part that can be interchanged between the two. The B-8 can use a number of parts (i.e. lens discs and cones) from the bigger (4 X 5) D-2.

Now I'll stop being so damn pedantic :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's a better picture of it, yes, I have an understanding wife, I have nowhere else to store it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    One other (practical, not pedantic) point; if belfastdispatcher is in Belfast, Northern Ireland, as opposed to Belfast, Maine (as evidenced by his reference to a "kettle plug"), are bulbs available there for this enlarger? That's something important to check. The Omega B-8, as well as B-22 and older Beseler 23Cs, uses the slightly odd PH 111a bulbs. 110 V versions are still available in the US, but are these bulbs still made for 220 (or 240) V? If so, it would be a good idea to buy several ASAP, just in case.

OTOH the enlarger just might have been converted to a different bulb. PH 111As use a small bayonet socket, like an automobile lamp socket, but higher voltage and no longer made. I've read that they can be converted to use PH 140 bulb (which use a small screw socket). Having a supply of bulbs is, obviously. very important. My solution was to but about a dozen bulbs, probably enough for a few lifetimes, as well as two extra Omega B lamphouses (for that oddball socket). This is a WONDERFUL enlarger, but I wouldn't want to have an enlaerger with just one used bulb., so please check on enlarging bulb availability.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin