Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,561   Posts: 1,573,308   Online: 1014

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get the best one you can afford. The best investment will be film and paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd vote for digital. I just brought Dr. Beat into the darkroom, and am more accurate than my Gralab 300. Setting small intervals for test strips had quite a bit of variance, but we never really printed anything less than 10 seconds. With Dr. Beat, I can set sixteenths @ 120 BPM and get 1/32 second intervals, with quiet good accuracy.

However, I have been playing bass for over a decade (mostly jazz) and have been noted for having excellent time and groove. My girlfriend is a drummer, so she's definitely not a slouch with beat/groove either. YMMV depending on your musical skill, though. For us, at least, we've been overall happier just manually hitting the switch on our voltage regulator and using a metronome vs the old GraLab 300, so if were going to buy one again, it would be a digital one.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Saunders digital timer and love it. One big factor to consider is consistency. I know that setting it for 8 seconds is going to give me the same time every time. I had a "Time-o-lite" that would be anywhere from 6 to 10 seconds if set for 8. That gets aggravating fast if you're trying to make several prints in a row the same.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe analog in this context means clockwork. That is what I thought of when reading the question.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe analog in this context means clockwork with dial-face and digit. That is what I thought of when reading the question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Time-o-lite one minute timer similar to this M-72 model for timing the enlarger bulb and making contact prints. Having gone through digital and solid-state meters, I still prefer to use these. They can be found on ebay for very little. Plenty adequate for my work. Then I use the GRALAB Model 300 for timing development in trays/drums. Both timers mentioned have a dial face.
    Last edited by DannL.; 01-06-2014 at 07:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    My Analog timers go down to 1/10th of a second so get what you can at a decent price. That precision is useful for print flashing (an advanced technique).

Ian
    Yeah I was reading about pre-flashing last night. Need to read it again though as it was a little confusing!
    I'm going to run with both hands...

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbridges View Post
    Get the best one you can afford. The best investment will be film and paper.
    I hear ya!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the Grablab 300 for film & electronic for printing.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Digital timers work well with f-stop printing - I recommend them.
    Thanks, Matt! I've got my eye on a Peterson copy on eBay! I'll look up what f-stop printing is in the meantime

I hope you don't mind an unrelated question to what the post is about, but other than a difference in light output, why does an enlarger lens have an aperture range? Or is that the sole purpose? Does it actually effect focus? Does a smaller aperture give you a sharper image?

:/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin