Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,772   Online: 964

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Digital vs Analogue Timers

So,

Obviously there will be greater precision with digital timers, but for a brand new starter like me, do I need such precision like 1/10 of a second at this stage?
    I'm going to run with both hands...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may not need that precision, but assuming you're looking at used ones, the timing circuits in many electronic analogue timers use capacitors that degrade over time (decades). I had one here that no matter where it was set timed for about a half second. Even "new old stock" stuff could have the problem, as it's related to more to age than use.

My $.02

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Analog timers go down to 1/10th of a second so get what you can at a decent price. That precision is useful for print flashing (an advanced technique).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydebruyne View Post
    do I need such precision like 1/10 of a second at this stage?
    It depends. For 1 second exposure, it's a 10% error rate. But for a minute exposure, it's not a big deal. IMHO.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My opinion:
    1/10 of a second would only matter for exposures which were very short - and I never do super short exposures. My minimum enlarging exposure tends to be about 15 seconds, if it gets much shorter than that, I stop down the lens. With a 15 second exposure, +/- 1s is barely noticeable (the difference between 14 and 15 seconds on the exposure is about 1/4 stop) so precision is not the reason to go digital.

I've used both, and happen to prefer the analog timers since I have a better feel for the amount of time when looking at a dial vs a display, but I currently use a digital timer, since it is integrated into my enlarger head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a digital timer. My previous Kaiser analogue timer was precise enough but it's repeatibilty was horrid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Analog (like a gralab 300) could be more reliable as the keypads for setting the digital timers get corroded over time unless you find one with a waterproof keypad.

Digital could be slightly more convenient and repeatable (like if you have to make a whole bunch of consecutive 10 second prints) for short exposures.

Shooter
    35mm
    Probably OT but I have an old red Kodak clockworks timer. Messing around with it yesterday I got it to where it was just 15 seconds slow over 3 hours. And I think I can tighten that up a bit more.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Digital timers work well with f-stop printing - I recommend them.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Digital timers work well with f-stop printing - I recommend them.
    +1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin