Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,136   Online: 1052

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vintage Kodak Model A Safelight rehab

Well, my darkroom is coming along quite nicely. Today I was working on the safelights and since I have a separate enlarging room I needed more safelights.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/1...-darkroom.html

Way back in 2006 or so I picked up some darkroom items that included a pair of old Kodak Model A safelights on stands. Condition of the safelights was unknown. Today I dug them out and soon had one working by swapping some parts around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	safelight kodak A working.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	79762

Rather than tossing the 2nd one out I decided to see if I could re-hab it and get both working.

The second one had a bad socket. The wires were bare in places and needed replacement.

Name:	safelight Kodak 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	79763

Name:	safelight bad wires.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	79764

So off to Home Depot to see what I could find. The original socket is held in by a friction ring 1940's style. Nothing like it at all. I decided to use a lamp socket but had a huge hole to deal with. I found a couple of large fender washers that I thought I could make work. I also need some 1/4" 20 bolts & washers. The originals had LEATHER washers - not easy to find so I just used metal ones.

Name:	safelight parts.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	79769

I used a 25/64" drill bit to open up the washer holes so the lamp stud would fit.

Name:	Safelight washers 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	79770

Name:	safelight washers 2.jpg 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	79771

Putting it all together I found that it should work.

Name:	Safelight new parts 1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	79772

Name:	Safelight new parts 2.jpg 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	79773

I re-attached the stand using a replacement bolt and plugged it int. Success! Now both are working.

Name:	safelights woorking.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	79774

I also drilled 4 holes in each base so that I can mount them. Kodak made a bracket that the base slides into for mounting but good luck finding one today!

Name:	safelights new mount holes.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	79775

So instead of going into a landfill these old safelights are going into my darkroom. I do need to get a new 5.25" OC filter but they are easy to find.
    Last edited by aoresteen; 01-06-2014 at 09:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    A very useful refurbishment It might be wise to add an earth lead to the steel case, which will then allow you a chance of a residual-current circuit breaker giving some protection, if there is ever a 'problem' between mains-voltage and the body of the lamp.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Nice job, Tony!
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one of those. Some people have suggested the efficacy of the filter can deteriorate with age. I don't know if that is true. Mine appears to work just fine as far as I can tell.

Shooter
    35mm

Does filter fade with age?

I bought a couple in about 1975 in a sale when Vogue closed down their London darkroom. I think they saw Digital coming before most of us. They are still an integral part of my darkroom with original filters - ?OC9, I can't read them anymore.
    But, I have replaced the bulbs (were they 15 or 25 watt pygmies?) with orange LEDs, leaving the filters in. The light is not so diffused as before but I can see perfectly well, and safety testing after pre-flashing stretches out beyond 10 minutes. A bargain.
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When Kodak stopped making these, the surplus stock went on sale at Employee Sales at Kodak Park for $1 each. I bought 2 and they are still in use and in "mint" condition. I also got a stack of filters by inheritance or purchase. The oldest ones (A and OA) are beginning to show their age by getting "wrinkles" in the filter surface, but they still work. The red and amber filters are still perfect. These are 30 years old or so.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent! These are the "D-76" of safelights.
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have ordered some intermitant base and candelabra base adapters that will let me use 15 watt intermitant base and candelabra base bulbs. These bulbs are smaller and sit further to the rear than the normal 15 watt bulbs do. Can't wait to try them out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261349405024...ht_1486wt_1128

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140996791896...#ht_112wt_1366

Yes the filters wear out. One of mine is "crackled" and I suspect white light will pass. I could block it with black tape but I decide just to get a replacement filter off of eBay.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    A very useful refurbishment It might be wise to add an earth lead to the steel case, which will then allow you a chance of a residual-current circuit breaker giving some protection, if there is ever a 'problem' between mains-voltage and the body of the lamp.
    That's a good idea and I'll put it on the to do list.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Today I got a call from a friend who was at an estate sale and said that they had a lot of old darkroom items for sale and the stuff was going cheap. I headed over and there were a couple of Omega enlargers in parts which I passed on (I'm a Beseler man ). There were a lot of Kodak Duraflex 16x20 trays, a ss dip & dunk line w/a crap load of Kodak SS hangers, 20 SS reels 35mm & 120, an Arkay SS rotary print washer, and a couple of boxes of junk stuff. Also a commercial Seal 210 dry mount press (very dirty). I got the lot for $40 and hauled it home. The SS stuff I put in storage for now. I went through all the junk boxes and guess what I found? A correct wall bracket for a Kodak Model A safe-light that I thought I would never find!

Name:	Safelight kodak a mount.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	80770

I will put it to use!

If I hadn't bought the junk boxes it would have ended up in the land fill. I found so much stuff that I'm gonna put it on eBay: Omega 4x5 negative carriers, Hasselblad body & rear lens caps, Nikon F body & rear lens caps, ect. The jewel was a Polaroid 4x5 back. Essentially the stuff was free!
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin