Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,510   Online: 1069

Shooter
    35mm

Use of Pocket PC in darkroom

Was wondering if anyone has used their pocket pc in their darkroom. I was hoping to somehow figure out if I can use mine as pocket safelight by dimming the light and getting somekind of program so that it will emit a shade equal to that of an OC filter. Would anyone know if there is a way to do this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No idea on the safelight issue, but for a few months, I used my Palm Pilot as a metronome for enlarging until I dug around and found the metronome my wife used in High School in a box in storage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use one I got given for a print size calculator. It's a bit dodgy as it's battery is hopeless and I have to remember to charge it regularly or it looses memory and I have to recreate the spreadsheet I use manualy because the software (ActiveSync) to connect it to the PC won't work after I upgraded it to the latest version, and reinstalling the old version no longer works either! Hey the price was right

Better than having a full sized laptop on the bench though.

As for using it as a safelight... I'd image a red globe in lampshade would be easier and more efficient, unless you were wanting to use it like a safelight torch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Better than having a full sized laptop on the bench though
    Nah... the laptop's fine - just slip a safelight screen over the display and away you go. Runs the free LeLab software to do all the timing and calculate test strip f-stop timings etc. Works as a process timer for print processing and I can read APUG via it's WiFi while I rock the trays!..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    the ultimate geek solution! LOL
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    I used to have an old Apple Macintosh SE30 in the darkroom. I masked the screen with ruby lith tape (over the monitor bezel, not directly on the glass) and it worked fine if I turned the brightness down. Poor thing gave up the ghost in a poof of smoke one day.

If you could disassemble your pocket pc and place a piece of clear plastic with ruby lith tape over it and sandwich it between the display and plastic case or otherwise affix it without sticking tape all over the display.. you'd be golden.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use my Palm in the darkroom even while developing film. I turn the screen down and put it in a deep, black cloth lined box. I point the box away from the film and have not fogged anything yet.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The ol' dinosaur strikes again! I kept hold of my very first "pocket" programmable calculator which used old fashioned red LED numerals thinking that some day it might be useful again. It is! I use it in the darkroom when necessary - no fogging problems....
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin