Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,334   Online: 723

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for a smaller wattage bulb than a 75w PH211

Does anyone know of a smaller wattage photo enlarger bulb than the 75watt PH211?
    I would like to get down to about 40watts or so.

thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why? If your printing times are too short then your negs are most likely too thin(underexposed).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Durst enlargers seem to be quite efficient with their lighting.
    My M600 with a 75w PH211 was marginal, with most of my exposures about 10 sec. I prefer to be 15-25 sec, so I have time to manipulate the print if I want to.
    This is for a Durst F30 which I expect will be just as fast or maybe a bit faster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bulbman? topbulb?
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Does anyone know of a smaller wattage photo enlarger bulb than the 75watt PH211?
    I would like to get down to about 40watts or so.

thanks
    Whatever bulb you experiment, remember that the size (length) of the bulb must be the same as the original, or else you will have a hot center problem. To my taste, papers these days are too fast. I know what you're going through.
    My remedy was a ND filter. Either that, or use a longer enlarging lens so you can run the head higher up the column. Experimenting with bulbs will most likely be fruitless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too use an ND filter when I'm working small. The longer lens trick doesn't actually work, because you're not dealing with a point source and square law. Projecting a same sized image on the easel will have about the same intensity whether its a 50, 80, 100, etc. lens.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    My remedy was a ND filter. Either that, or use a longer enlarging lens so you can run the head higher up the column.
    By using a longer lens the angle of projection will be smaller, thus yielding a counter-effect on hightening the head.
    Nothing will be gained.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you could use a Variac. An adjuster transformer. This will allow you adjust the voltage and dim the light as needed. They were not uncommon, Beseler had one that mounted on the 45 series enlargers but standalone units are common. A bit pricey new but there should be lots of used ones out there.

A standard light dimmer might also work for a 75w bulb - I can't say for sure though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dimming the bulb turns it too yellow. Then you'll be fighting contrast and exposure standardization. You'll just have a mess. On top of that when you dim a bulb by voltage, the glow gets smaller, possibly causing evenness problems from center to edge. Regarding my longer lens idea, I reserve the right to say something dumb once in a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    bulbman? topbulb?

Checked them both out.
    Looks like 75w is the lowest wattage photo enlarger bulb on the market.

I wonder if I can use a soft white 40w bulb?
    I would just have to make sure the printing is not facing the lens, and since the bulb is base down, I could do that.

Well time to measure the lens for a ND filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin