Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,123   Online: 793

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Constant Aggitation?

I'm developing a roll of Delta 100 right now and using the spin cycle of the washer for constant aggitation. Although I doubt I'm the first to do this, what's better, intermittent aggitation or constant?

Dave
    "...slow down and start using photography to create an image, not just capture one." b.e.wilson

"Speed kills, Del" Johnny Fever

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Won't that ruin your washer? And won't the water be against one side of the developing tank cause of the spin?
    Is it just way toooo cold out there in Canada it is starting to interfere with rational behaviour?
    Constant agitation will probably make your negs pretty dense. Or figure out how much to cut in developing time. Same with stand development I guess...extend developing time.
    Perhaps the Stand developers and Constant developers should get together and compare negs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

On top of the washer

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Won't that ruin your washer? And won't the water be against one side of the developing tank cause of the spin?
    Is it just way toooo cold out there in Canada it is starting to interfere with rational behaviour?
    Constant agitation will probably make your negs pretty dense. Or figure out how much to cut in developing time. Same with stand development I guess...extend developing time.
    Perhaps the Stand developers and Constant developers should get together and compare negs.
    Actually it's raining today, plus 5 degrees celcius! I just started developing the roll when the spin cycle started up so, I decided to leave it on the washer to see what would happen. The roll is done now, and the negs look evenly developed but as you suggest they might be slightly over-developed.
    "...slow down and start using photography to create an image, not just capture one." b.e.wilson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Unicolour drum for 4x5 sheet film and reduce the developing time by 15% for constant agitation. Seems to work ok for my setup, but I've never tried what you are doing.
    Brian McDowell

Images
    I stopped using my Jobo for processing largely because I feel that the rests between agitations allow the shadows build while suppressing the highlights (at least somewhat).

I've never processed film in my washing machine although a print drum on a CPE 2 would probably be a great way to wash the odd pair of socks or undershorts
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it depends on whether the washer is on gentle cycle, or regular, Dave. In particular, I hear the extra-rinse setting needs to be watched closely.

I've had good luck with the companion device, however.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regular cycle with the extra bumpy super spin at the end. You know the kind with the unbalanced load, thump..thump..thump..thump..thump...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just remember to use Hardener in the fixer if you use fabric softener.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin