Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,285   Online: 916

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still think you are getting the short end of the deal.
    - Just what functionality do you get from the Durst that you do not already have with your D5?
    - Your Omega can go up to 4x5 film, same as the L1200. So there is no gain on the film format.
    - Is the chassis of the D5 the long column XL or the standard column? If you have the XL, I am pretty sure that the XL is longer/taller than the L1200.
    - Durst specific parts will be hard to find and EXPENSIVE when you do find them.

Did you make a list of everything that you will need to repair/replace or get to bring the L1200 up to operational condition?
    - FEMONEG or BIMANEG universal negative carrier ($105 + shipping)
    - FEMOMASK or BINEMA negative masks for each film format, to go into the carrier ($50-100 each)
    - LAPLA lens boards (50mm+ lenses) ($35 + shipping for 39mm) any size other than 39mm thread will be more expensive (42,50,53mm).
    - the missing power supply
    - replacing broken parts ???

Go onto eBay to find the parts you need and price them.
    Having been through this myself, finding some of these parts will take a LONG time.
    Example the negative masks for the L1000 so rarely come up that I will have to have them fabricated from Omega D5 negative carriers.
    I do not know if the negative carrier for the L1200 can use a modified D5 negative carrier as a mask. If not, you are stuck with the harder to find Durst negative masks.
    My seat of the pants estimate of the power supply and the negative carrier+masks+lens boards for 3 film formats (w/o knowing what parts you really need) is around $900. The cost of the power supply and shipping for all the parts was a wild guess.
    And if you need repair parts... The only way to get some of those parts is from people dismantling L1200s and selling the parts.
    You know what parts you will need, and what shipping to you might be, so you can do a better cost estimate than me.

From a purely financial point of view, based on my rough cost estimate, it looks like a bad deal for little or no increase in functionality over your D5.
    Is it worth it for other reasons? Only you can make that decision.

What is his straight purchase price, no trade?
    Because, it seems that you are buying an enlarger that needs a lot of work for more money that it is worth, and you still have to put in a lot of money to get it operational.
    You could come out ahead by buying the L1200 for $100, and selling your D5 for $400 or whatever you could get for it. And the D5 should sell for more than the L1200 in the condition it is in.

gud luk in your decision
    and more gud luk in restoring the L1200 if you get it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Heck, if you want a Durst, get a REAL Durst, like a 138. There are lots of parts floating around for those things because they were made over
    such a long time and used in so many labs, and way better built than an L1200. I wouldn't turn down one of those either, if it was reasonably
    complete. But there are lots of bargains out there right now, and I've seen some really expensive working units going for downright free, for anyone willing to pick them up themselves. You can't go wrong with a basic 4x5 Chromega either. These seem to last forever too, but aren't
    anywhere near as fancy as Durst.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If Paul is still willing to send the spare power supply he owns, I would consider shipping even if it is from UK. When shipping up to 20 kg worldwide from the Netherlands, I pay approximately 40 euro (55 dollar). The negative carrier is easily fixed as described several posts above, and is more sophisticated than the Omega carrier. The negative masks for the Durst appear regularly on ebay in different sizes. You might pay some extra, but the Durst L1200 makes enlarging a lot more comfortable.

best,

Willem

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin