Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,987   Online: 1072

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Thinking on getting a durst 1200

Hello Apug,

I've been offered a Durst Laborator 1200 with several Componon-S's for a bargain, but the enlarger is missing its power supply and some of the negative carriers are slightly broken (and probably some of the gears are a bit worn out, but overall the enlarger seems ok, without any visible damage). It is being offered to me by my regular provider, and in my city there are just a few others: I don't think he is trying to rip me off, so I trust what he says about it. I have an Omega D5, which has been used over the years and is working despite some visible wear. He is offering me to trade the enlargers, because although the Durst is more sophisticated, my Omega is working and needs no extra pieces, which are usually hard to find. What should I do? I'm very tempted, do you think that I could get a power supply (even a generic one if the originals are too expensive or rare) and get that beauty working again?

Thanks for your help.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And your "regular provider" regularly provides you with???

Anyway, I'm sure you can find parts if you're serious about getting it going.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In Europe the Durst may be easy to maintain, but in the USA the Omega is easier to maintain.

Shooter
    35mm
    By provider I meant the store in which I get paper, chemicals, film, filters... It's very small, so it is also like a gathering point for photographers that still use film for conviction in my city. Anyway, I know that Durst is easier to keep in Europe, but for me it really doesn't matter all that much since I'm in South America and both brands are equally hard to get Any ideas on what to do? I've been looking in ebay and the power supplies from Durst seem to be hard to get, so I think a generic one would be ok (I'm also on a low budget), but I would like to know what kind should I get, and how does a timer work in that case. Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Power supplies are heavy and expensive to ship anyway. The power supply feeds the halogen bulb and a cooling fan and as long as you get the voltage and wattage right it should work. Some old broken slide projector might be a source for parts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aca91 View Post
    the enlarger is missing its power supply and some of the negative carriers are slightly broken (and probably some of the gears are a bit worn out, but overall the enlarger seems ok, without any visible damage).
    What usually happens with the neg carriers is the hinge pins break - These are (I think) made of plastic, but are easily replaced. I have two of them, both sets had broken hinges. Drilled out the remains of the pins and replaced them with M3x0.5 set screws.

I have a spare TR450 power supply, but shipping to anywhere is going to be very expensive - It is possible to use another 24V 250W power supply, but it is not a straight forward drop-in replacement. I have a circuit diagram for the PSU which I can send over. It will give you some idea of what is involved.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know the Omega but if you have a working enlarger and don't feel a limitation I wouldn't change.
    The L1200 is a very nice enlarger (I have one) but this sounds like a project, not a simple exchange.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Been there. I have a beautiful working L1200, but for a month, the seller "couldn't find the power supply". I searched the earth for one. But he finally found it.

So, finding the power supply is a pain; rare, but not really that expensive

ebay can be a source for parts, but, rare. there is a regular ebay seller of Durst stuff,

These guys sell new parts, but very expensive: http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/

But once you got it working, it is a wonderful enlarger, so easy to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. A working enlarger....... Keep the one that is working.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I have another enlarger, a Meopta, which I use for wall projections. This means that I can risk to get involved in the project. Paul, thank you very much, I would appreciate that diagram. How much do you think a shipment of your spare transformer would cost, and how much would you charge for it? What is the problem with using another 250w 24v power supply? How could I plug a timer to any power supply other than the ones from durst? Thank you all for your answers, I still have to think if I'm up for the risk.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin