Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,163   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

16 X 20 Tray Ladder

I've been making 16 X 20 prints for about a year in my very small darkroom, with the trays on three shelves of a rolling cart. That arrangement works, but is very awkward, since the bottom shelf is almost on the floor. Among other things, I had to shorten my darkroom apron, because it kept getting into the bottom (fixer) tray and emptying trays without spilling them was really hard. I've been using an 11 X 14 Leedal tray ladder for years and it certainly makes printing that size easier, but a Google search for the larger store led to only one US result, at Calumet, which lists a 16 X 20 Leedal tray ladder as "Out of Stock–Taking Orders" Since no other stores, including B&H and Adorama listed these, I assumed that the listing was some artifact of their computer system. Leedal couldn't really still be in business, could it. Anyway, Calumet had a "free shipping" sale in December and I figured it wouldn't hurt to try placing an order. I got back an automated response that the item was on back order and that back-ordered items usually ship in three to four weeks. I didn't have very high expectations, but the thing has just been shipped and should arrive next week. I wonder if I'm getting the very last one manufactured–I hope not. I anticipate that this piece of equipment will make 16 X 20s almost as easy as smaller sizes.

Now, if only my archival print washer took 16 X 20s. I've been washing them in a large tray, with a tray syphon and that seems like a step backward, but it works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leedal is still in business http://www.leedal.com. A 16x20 tray ladder probably isn't a high-demand item, it might be something that's actually build to order, sort of like Print On demand.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good to know. I actually posted this to let anyone interested know that these tray ladders are still available. Maybe a few more orders will keep them in production. It's odd that other large US stores don't list them' I ten to think thatg ifB& H doesn't list something it's not available, but that obviously isn't true.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    According to a comparison of print washers in one of the magazines 20 or so years ago, the tray syphon is as efficient as any other washer if used correctly. It does consume more water. an alternative is a series of five rinses in trays for one minute each as described by Ilford in their article on archival processing.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Not difficult to build and more stable. Build a two step ladder with the steps around 5" high each. Seal the plywood well, marine varnish. Had mine for decades.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thought of making something, and would have tried that if the commercial tray ladder wasn't available, but I'm not a great carpenter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A couple of years ago I replaced the ones I had with new ones from either Calumet or B&H -- I forget which one. Anyone interested might search for "photographic tray stackers" if "tray ladders" doesn't give a result. My suggestion is to have two. That way you can stack up to six trays in the space of two. If you happen to get the same ones I have the shelves attach with bolts and wing nuts. The wing nuts like to loosen so I suggest a trip to a hardware store and buy some lock washers to prevent that.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't need one but wanted to see what they looked like. Searching for "stackers" did not bring up any photo products, rather, it returned items for a regular office type envioroment. Searching for "photographic tray ladders" returned the photo items including the Leedal.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The parts of the 11 X 14 tray ladder, which I bought from Porters several years ago, just slip together; I don't think there's a way to attach a second one. My new 16 X 20 tray ladder is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, so I'm not sure about that. Since I'll use it on top of a three shelf cart, I don't think I'd need any more tray space.

Here's a link to the 16 X 20 model on the Calumet website, the 11 X 14 model is also shown:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/product/...-trays/AY0456/

I don't really mean to advertise Calumet, but no place else seems to show these; not even the Leedal website.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IIRC Spiratone made on way back in the 70's for 11x14 trays. Not sure if they ever did a 16x20. I'd have a welding shop cobble one to get her.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin