Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,353   Online: 739

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it's worth I have the 11x14" split back contact printing frame from photographers formulary and like it very much. I don't recall now if I got it from adorama or b&h or maybe even amazon, but the price was lower than at the photographers formulary website and the shipping was lower or maybe free too. It is very solidly built and does a good job of applying pressure all over.

Do agree about the snap/unsnap, but like the solidness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My latest divided back contact frame, an 11x14 came from Gold Street Studios; expensive but very nice.
    http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...60157871,d.dGI
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm probably missing something vital, but isn't it fairly simple to make one from a good quality picture frame, probably an aluminium one for strength? Lose the multiple small clips and replace them with a couple of longer leaf-springs made from brass-strip (carried by any d.i.y. shop). The spring pivot point can be a small nut-and-bolt, or a pop-rivet, with the depth of the head lost within a piece of mounting board. The hinge for the backing board can be a couple of layers of cloth held on with pva glue or similar, as it isn't stress bearing when the frame is closed . . . I feel a little project coming on . . .

Edit: This idea would work with standard pre-built picture frames at a smallish size, but I can imagine that anything bigger than 11x14" might need a more substantial frame to be made by the local frame-shop and perhaps heavier glass. The principle should be the same though?
    Last edited by MartinP; 01-28-2014 at 06:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sure it's easy to DIY something for little to no cost using picture frames or whatever. I've contacted printed with a sandwich of heavy glass and foam board, clamped with some strong binder clips from Staples. Total cost about $10.

But just like any tool, when you have a nice one it's a pleasure to use and of course it does the job well. I don't have the woodworking skills to come anywhere near that point so I'm happy to buy one from someone who does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    E-bay worked for me

Shooter
    Large Format
    Doug Kennedy has made two for me (including a custom size), and they are of highest quality workmanship. The springs are secured with metal washers, so should not wear out like wood. dbkennedy@frontiernet.net
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Alistair Inglis makes one that I've been eyeballing lately...
    My real name is Patrick, not Joe. Long Story.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A friend of mine is helping me with a home made 8x10 camera. He offered to help with larger versions of my old contact printing frames. I'll see what he come sup with. Maybe he can offer up some nice ones at a reasonable cost. He does great work too. Wish I remembered more from my high school wood shop classes!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SRT-102 | XD-5 | XD-11 | XE-7 | Hi-Matic 9 | Hi-Matic 11 | Sears 35RF | Minolta 5D | Sony A300 | Mamiya C220 | Bronica SQ-a | Yashica YK | Minolta Maxxum 7000 | Pentax K1000 | Speed Graphic 23

http://blisslars.tumblr.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Another Vote for Inglis Equipment

I do not own a contact print frame by Inglis but have other pieces of equipment he manufactures (film washers, pin-registered negative carriers, etc.) and give everything he designs and makes 2 thumbs up! He is also a stand-up guy!
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lotus view camera from Austria offers wooden frames from 8x10 to 20x24.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin