Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,824   Online: 988

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Who are current suppliers of contact printing frames

I'm looking for retail suppliers/builders as opposed to eBay or other such resources. The variety offered with clips around the side are of no interest. Seems like I saw a thread recently about someone on this list starting to make them again. Looking to purchase two or three for a school.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Check with Bostick and Sullivan in Santa Fe, NM. I bought mine from them several years ago.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dan Pelland

http://pellandphoto.com/

Just got one of his frames and I love it. Beautiful work and super sturdy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I'm looking for retail suppliers/builders as opposed to eBay or other such resources. The variety offered with clips around the side are of no interest. Seems like I saw a thread recently about someone on this list starting to make them again. Looking to purchase two or three for a school.
    I would recommend the Pellend frames mentioned above, especially for use at a school. Primarily because Dan's frames have metal channels to receive the metal tabs. Those without them can become damaged over time if you are not careful.
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 01-28-2014 at 02:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Freestyle Photo has quite a few. The prices on them are insane though. One has a mahogany frame and I think it's 200 bucks! You know, you could easily build one for $10 or $15. That's what I would do, have the students build them. You get a real appreciation for something like that, vs just going out and buying something.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    It might help us if you told us what size negatives you will be using. I have always been told to get one size larger than the negative to include a good size print paper. I have three frames from Bostick & Suilvan and one Bill Schwab of Photostock fame. www.NorthLightWorkshops.com He is an excellent carpenter as well as photographer. All of the frames are very ridged and strong.

I have taken a couple of alt process courses with really cheap old flimsy print frames. They ruin the experience. Quality really pays off here.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Freestyle Photo has quite a few. The prices on them are insane though. One has a mahogany frame and I think it's 200 bucks! You know, you could easily build one for $10 or $15. That's what I would do, have the students build them. You get a real appreciation for something like that, vs just going out and buying something.
    freestyle no longer sells them. at least according to my searches.......
    I don't think Bill makes them any longer either.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle doesn't currently carry any contact printing frames. Bostick and Sullivan does and Dan Pelland is taking orders for custom build frames. The ones with a bunch of little clips around the edges do not work for me. I have one from Freestyle a few years ago that works fine and several from B&S that I've bought in the past.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Freestyle told me they sold through their contact frame stock and are currently in talks with a new manufacturer. Expecting to have more in the next quarter or so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yeah, the formulary ones with all the clips work but they SUCK to use and are rather loud snap/unsnap. well made but terrible design.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin