Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,068   Online: 948

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Can you take a photo of your bathroom and the size

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Can you take a photo of your bathroom and the size

Dave
    Certainly will tonight when I return.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Possible tray stacker to sit inside of the shower with sliding doors.
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20219658/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can do it in even less space, a half-bath.
    I put a compact enlarger (Durst M600) on the toilet. A frame like the Ikea cart would be even better as it gets the enlarger higher.
    Then on the counter I use either an old Honeywell rocking print tray (so I only need 1 tray to process in) or a drum processor (Unicolor, Cibachrome, etc). This takes up relatively less space than trying to use multiple trays. The challenge for you is to find a Honeywell Rocking Print Tray or a Heath/Mitchell Color Canoe. Processing drums are relatively easy to find, so that might be a better option, and making a manual roller base should not be difficult, or just get a motorized base.

In an old apartment, I did similar to what was mentioned.
    I made a plywood platform that went over the tub, the enlarger was placed on this.
    I made a partial sink/shelf that went over the toilet and the end sat on the counter. I put the 8x10 processing trays in this.

My enlarger, a Durst M600 is great for this application, as it breaks down and stores very well. The Durst box is more compact and easier to handle than the comparable Omega enlarger box. The trick is to find someone that still has the box for the enlarger. Many boxes were/are thrown away after purchase.

If you have the space, a friend has a Beseler C23 on a microwave cart. She stores the enlarger on the cart in the corner of the family room, under a dust cover. Then when she wants to print, she rolls the cart into the bathroom. In this way, she save on the enlarger assembly/setup time that I have to do. I think she has a platform on the tub where the trays are.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    If you go to a hardware store and buy some exterior plywood, and legs which screw into metal bases which are afixed at appropriate locations, you have an easily set-up and taken-down tables which fits into
    • the shower space for holding processing trays while printing, and
    • one straddling over the commode for the enlarger

In my single days I used to have a Beseler 45VXL that was kept in the spare bedroom on a low TV cabinet to permit the very tall column to fit in 8' ceiling. Blackout material over the windows allowed me to do the printing in the bedroom, and loading the Jobo tank with the print paper. And I would set up a table in the tub shower to hold my Jobo processor.

This is exactly what I have done, used playwood and foldable leg placed playwodd on top of vanity extending it into tub. it take me about 10 minutes to setup my darkroom and about 15 to store it. This way I do not occupy bathroom and only for developing and printing sessions. Mind you I have storage room right next to bathroom so I can temporarily store setup in there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used to have an apartment where I set up a temporary darkroom - here is what I did - there was a hall closet outside the darkroom, and I kept everything in there when the bathroom needed to be used for less artistic purposes (it was a 1 bath apartment). I had a card table that I set up over the toilet, and put the enlarger on that. I used an Omega 600 enlarger with an easel and a paper safe built into the baseboard - it handled 6x6 and 35mm which were the two formats that I was interested in.
    I built a table with a lip around it and four short folding legs - the table sat over the bathtub and provided a nice sink area. I used a shower head on the end of a hose for print washing.
    I had to hang a black cloth over the mirror, and I replaced the lights in the fixture over the sink with a red safelight bulb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bathroom images and measurements

8' ceilings
    6' from door to shower doors. Shower 28" wide
    65" wide room
    Vanity 31" high
    56" from Vanity to ceiling Sink extends above vanity by 1.5"
    Vanity is 36" by 21" (standard 2 door kind)
    Commode 9" from (tank lid) the vanity. 7" to the shower doors.

Three switches on long wall, Fan, White Light, Heat Lamp (I can see where the safe light goes)
    One room switch left of vanity for lights above the mirror not seen
    1 AC socket left of vanity as well, it is seen.
    Inside the shower you will see an extra curtain rod with clips hanging. I already do tank processing of film in there and hang in the shower to dry.

Photos attached and a very iffy room drawing. Sorry for the lack of image quality, they are from the cell phone and there was a fog hanging in the room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sink.jpg   Cammode and shower.jpg   Bathroom.jpg   shower w film hangers.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to put my enlarger (Durst M601 so 35mm & 6x6 MF but on the smaller size so I could carry it from cupboard to bathroom without disassembling) on a stand (originally for a computer monitor I think) that covered the hand basin. I put two 4x2's (as that's what I had!) across the tub (long ways) and sat my trays on them (a door cut down to size might be better) and used to wash my print in the laundry tub (another room). These days, I have a LPL/Saunders C7700 that's can be carried by one person but also comes apart/asembles real easy. My 4x5 enlarger (aslso LPL) can be carried by one but it's a struggle (more awkward than the actual weight as such).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my method won't work with the glass shower screen, you wouldn't be able to reach in easily. Some kind of tray stacker might be the go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your setup is EXACTLY like what I had in my apartment.
    So here is what I did:
    - 1/2 plywood cut to fit over the right half of the tub, to put the enlarger on. I just sat on a low stool to work on the enlarger.
    - I built a 3 sided wood sink out of 1/2 plywood for the bottom and 1x4 for the 3 sides then painted with either latex or epoxy paint. This sink was over the toilet. It had only 2 legs which were supporting the end next to the tub. The other open end rested on the counter. So I had a nice sorta long sink counter to put my 8x10 trays (develop, stop, fix) and it was right next to the sink where the water and drain were. Then I took the fixed prints to the kitchen where I had the washer setup.

You could even use the toilet...if you had to.

It is possible, to use a cart with the enlarger on it in your setup, but it would be tight. Either
    - The cart straddling the toilet, with processing done in the tub area, or
    - As I described mine, and you would put the cart into the wall opposite the toilet. But you would then have to squeeze between the wooden sink and the enlarger cart, when processing the exposed paper.

BTW, I would take your bathroom over my half-bath, which is much smaller and harder to process in.
    Last edited by ac12; 02-03-2014 at 05:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin