Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,380   Online: 838

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How much of a setup/tear down is acceptable?
    For example, how often would it need to accomdate guests?

My darkroom is in our spare bathroom. I've installed a counter over the toilet (at the end-wall of the room) joined at right angles to another that fits over the tub. These support the Enlarger and associated stuff, and trays and/or my Nova. The sink is open which is where I do the film processing. On a day to day basis the room is no longer functional as a bathroom, but it all could be taken down in a few hours if necessary, the only permanent changes I've made so far was the sink and vanity which now is a narrow counter supporting a single bowl stainless kitchen sink, with temperature controlled water. Plywood covers the window to make it light tight.

At some point I plan to remove the toilet and probably the bathtub, but for now they are still in place and functional.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the enlarger and and drum print dryer in a bedroom. I put the exposed papers in a photographic paper box and carry it into the bathroom. I put a plywood board across the sinks, cover it with plastic that goes part way up the wall to prevent splashes and place the trays on it. The prints are washed in the bathtub in a large raised tray [the siphon is large] and it has a Kodak water siphon inject the water into the tray and pump water out.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I assume you have seen this "Sticky" thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/4...darkrooms.html

You can make an effective shelf for trays that will fit in a shower if you use a folding ironing board.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I would put shelf over the Commode for the trays stand using PVC (sch 40 water pipe 1" or lager) glue some pipe and pull others apart for storage this will 8x10 and may do 11x 14 prints

Use shower to the enlarger using simple shelf in the tube using pvc (sch 40 water pipe 1" or larger)

If you are going to 4x5 you may what to find a older one from the 50's they are around 40 to 50 pounds the new ones or 80 pounds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lee,

I have an Omega B-22 with 50 and 75mm lenses and 35mm and 6x6 neg carriers that you can have if you want. It was part of a small lot that I purchased for a time-o-lite timer, some trays and a few other odds and ends.

Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jeff I am on it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear daleeman,

I used a bathroom just like that for years. However, everything but the shower had to be usable (I had to set up and take down after each session) pretty much all the time. I put a pipe cap in place of the shower head and left the enlarger set up on a cart with drawers. It only took a few minutes to move the enlarger and replace the shower head when necessary. Yes, opening and closing the shower door was a pain, but I could set up, make 1 print, and clean it all up in less than 30 minutes. I know that because I had to do it once just before darkroom night on the old Compuserve photography forum.

Have fun!

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neal,
    Good to hear set up and tear down can go so quick.
    I too was on the Compuserve forum. I miss those days of no NSA tracking everything on the web. I do not miss my 300bps modem, but it also gave me 99 voice mail mailboxes. Suited my multiple personalities just right.

I am excited to be close to in-home printing again and looking forward to meeting Jeff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Single tray processing might be worth considering if you're doing larger sizes in a small space. Have a look at:

http://heylloyd.com/technicl/technicl.html

and go to the link to single tray processing and also the one about cleaning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I assume you have seen this "Sticky" thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/4...darkrooms.html

You can make an effective shelf for trays that will fit in a shower if you use a folding ironing board.
    Matt,
    great reading, good ideas. Thanks

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin