Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,519   Online: 870

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got an old enlarger that takes up to 6x9 for free, it's actually made in Sweden! The thing mounts on the case using it as a baseboard. And as you can see you've got plenty of room for paper. This case is hand made and damn heavy, but it's a neat setup.

The idea of a table with wheels is not bad either, since you can make it fit over the toilet. Either way, I think that you need to forget about the included baseboards and make one yourself. Then 4x5 would be viable as well.

I've got an Durst M301 with the color head, it's so damn small! It's capable of making 11x14, if you don't use the masking frame. It's small enough to fit in a standard bookshelf and you can lift it with one hand without a problem. I intend to keep it even if I get a 4x5 enlarger (I'll probably go with a custom made baseboard/table then) just because it's so damn small and easy to work with. The M600 isn't much larger, but it seems that you can't get a color head for it. The 605 on the other hand... A tad bigger, but with a small baseboard it should work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Another option for working small with 4x5" is a Graflarger back on a 4x5" press camera. It has its own problems--mainly the ramp time of the bulb, which can be solved by leaving it on once it warms up and using a black card or a shutter to time exposures, or by using a compensating timer like a Metrolux--but if you put it on a small copy stand, it doesn't take as much space as most 4x5" enlargers. You can also mount any conventional enlarging lens you like on a lensboard for the camera, and the negative carriers are simple enough that you can make your own out of mat board for whatever formats you use.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 02-09-2014 at 01:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No one has mentioned Omega b-22, older but does 6X6 or C-760 that will handle 6X7.
    Both are light weight & use just a couple of screws to remove from the base board.

KHBphotographix is in ONtario and carries some used equipment.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can recommend Durst M600, which can do 135 and 6x6. If you are looking 35mm only you can go with Leitz Valoy. Its very simple and does a great job.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cl3mens View Post
    I got an old enlarger that takes up to 6x9 for free...
    You also got a bunch of yummy papers! See if there is a pack of Gevaert Gevaluxe paper hidden somewhere in the box?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    You also got a bunch of yummy papers! See if there is a pack of Gevaert Gevaluxe paper hidden somewhere in the box?
    No luck, just Gevatone and Gevaortho. 2 small opened packs. Cool old packages with a blue Gevaert logo on a gray paper base.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No luck, just Gevatone and Gevaortho. 2 small opened packs. Cool old packages with a blue Gevaert logo on a gray paper base.
    Too bad... the Stradivari of papers some say.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gevaluxe packaging too has that grey cardboard and a basically blue label.
    Though with bronze trim.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another thing to keep in mind (just found this out, actually), that with an adapter, my B&J (or any press camera) bolts right into my Durst enlarger right where you would normally bolt the head in. Using semi-crude measurements, it seems alignment is quite good, though you'd need a plate or a macro rail to get the lens far enough away from the baseboard for anything bigger than an 8x10 If you found a graflarger, that would allow you to do 4x5 on a compact Durst, too.

Actually, building a graflarger type attachment wouldn't be difficult either. Seems my Durst is based off of a frosted bulb reflected off a white plate 90* into a condensor. A straight diffusion head would be even easier.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Last year I lost DR space and wanted to migrate to a smaller enlarger. After much thought I bought a like new Durst 601. I can recommend either the 600 or 601 as the best bet for a quality 35mm/MF enlarger. If you need a small footprint a condenser enlarger avoids the transformer which can go bad. The 600/601 easily breaks down for storage.

Get everything you need with the Durst enlargers as parts are expensive. The beauty of the Durst is their universal glass carrier. One part holds small and medium format negs. I doubt you need a glass carrier if enlarging to 8x. The Durst uses a reflex mirror system which resists buckling the neg when in a glassless carrier.

LF is a hassle, especially for beginners. Its not jut the size of the enlarger, consider the size of the camera/developing equipment.

I tried processing prints using a color drum. I work with fiber and ultimately decided 11x14 single tray development worked better for me. You must completely wash out the tray between prints. I use 2L plastic paint pails to hold the chemicals.

The ultimate quality, small 35mm enlarger is the Valoy II.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 02-10-2014 at 06:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin