Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,710   Online: 804

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Darkroom instructor suggested the Omega B-22 (which has been mentioned here too). It doesn't look like it'll go as small as the Durst, but there is a company in the province that can service them and get parts, which I can't say for the Durst. There's a complete darkroom kit, including a B22 w/ 35mm and 6x6 lenses and carriers, for sale about two hours away. Even counting gas, it's not expensive. So, right now that's my plan.

Next step, convince my better half to let me do this

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can keep the enlarger assembled between uses, like keeping it on a microwave cart, the B22 would be fine.
    IMHO, the Omega enlargers are not meant to be taken down between uses. Whereas the smaller Durst are easy to take down and store.
    The B22 is a nice enlarger, as long as your max film format is 6x6.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    If you can keep the enlarger assembled between uses, like keeping it on a microwave cart, the B22 would be fine.
    IMHO, the Omega enlargers are not meant to be taken down between uses. Whereas the smaller Durst are easy to take down and store.
    The B22 is a nice enlarger, as long as your max film format is 6x6.
    I'm looking at storage ideas that will let me leave it assembled. Space is at a premium in my basement. If a Durst comes up locally before I get the B22, I'm sure I'll be happy with it too.

Given my space requirements, the 6x6 limit is acceptable. My only MF camera is currently a 645. If I add to my MF fleet, it would probably be a 6x6. Even that would be more for the square format than for the extra detail/enlarging capability. I'm going to be limited to 11x14 in my basement anyways. If I get to the point where I'm making 16x20 prints, I'll need to figure something else out

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKrull View Post
    I'm looking at storage ideas that will let me leave it assembled. Space is at a premium in my basement. If a Durst comes up locally before I get the B22, I'm sure I'll be happy with it too.

Given my space requirements, the 6x6 limit is acceptable. My only MF camera is currently a 645. If I add to my MF fleet, it would probably be a 6x6. Even that would be more for the square format than for the extra detail/enlarging capability. I'm going to be limited to 11x14 in my basement anyways. If I get to the point where I'm making 16x20 prints, I'll need to figure something else out

The Durst 600 and 601 will shoot to a wall, the Omega B22 if like all the other Omega I have used shoot to the floor for 16X20 or larger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since you mentioned print size.

The Durst F30 (35mm) is limited to 8x magnification with 50mm lens, for 8x10 on the baseboard.
    I do not have the specs for the Durst F60, but it might be slightly larger. The key is how tall the column is.

According to specs, my Durst M600 will do 15x for 35mm film and 50mm lens, and 9x for 120 film with 80mm lens on the baseboard.
    I have done 11x14 from 35mm film, so I do know it can do that size.

The Durst 605 without the head extension piece will do 12x for 35mm and 50mm lens, 5.3x for 120 and 80mm lens on the baseboard. The extension piece (if you can find it) will raise the max mag to 16x and 8.9x.

For the B22 check which B22 it is, the B22 or the B22-XL. Then check the specs for that enlarger, specifically the height of the column. The XL models have a taller column to allow you to make larger prints. But that runs into another limitation...your ceiling. You might hit the ceiling before you get the head raised to the top of the column. Or the column itself might hit the ceiling or the top of the door frame, in which case you need a lower table/cart.
    I have this low ceiling problem, so I cannot use an enlarger with a tall XL chassis.
    Last edited by ac12; 02-11-2014 at 05:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since you mentioned print size.

The Durst F30 (35mm) is limited to 8x magnification with 50mm lens, for 8x10 on the baseboard.
    I do not have the specs for the Durst F60, but it might be slightly larger. The key is how tall the column is.

According to specs, my Durst M600 will do 15x for 35mm film and 50mm lens, and 9x for 120 film with 80mm lens on the baseboard.
    I have done 11x14 from 35mm film, so I do know it can do that size.
    Not sure I'd believe these specs, as I've printed decently cropped 8x10s, as well as 11x14s with mine. The key is that they allow the column to be raised about 2". An easel will slide right under the column and you can do 11x14s.

Moot point if you need to enlarge MF, though.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fretlessdavis View Post
    Not sure I'd believe these specs, as I've printed decently cropped 8x10s, as well as 11x14s with mine. The key is that they allow the column to be raised about 2". An easel will slide right under the column and you can do 11x14s.

Moot point if you need to enlarge MF, though.

Do you mean on the F30?
    I set up a F30 with the column and head as high as it could go, and a 50mm lens.
    Then I measured the image on the baseboard. It was just a bit bigger than 8x10, but definitely short of 11x14.
    Maybe you have the extended base, that hold the column higher.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do you mean on the F30?
    I set up a F30 with the column and head as high as it could go, and a 50mm lens.
    Then I measured the image on the baseboard. It was just a bit bigger than 8x10, but definitely short of 11x14.
    Maybe you have the extended base, that hold the column higher.
    Perhaps I do! Mine came in the original box, all for $25. It says nothing about any extended base.

I just measured and double checked-- I get a height from baseboard to lens of 59cm with the column pushed up in the mount-- which gets me (with my easel) just shy of 11x14.

I looked through my notes, and the 11x14's I did, I did not use my easel. When measured from the front of the column, the baseboard has exactly 11x14" of usable area, so I just lined the paper up by hand.

I've thought about springing for a WA Rodagon, as this would let me do 11x14's on this no problem, but I rarely do 35mm anymore, and when I know I'm going to be making anything beyond 8x10, I'll break out my ETRS or 4x5.

These things are great for wall projection, too, if you don't mind the long exposures. I (very foolishly) did a couple large prints for a friend of mine (miscommunication on the format I used... I had no idea he wanted 16"x20" prints). It worked great! Wish I could say the results were great, as even on a tripod Fomapan 100 in 35mm barely holds itself together at an 8x10...

Anyways, based on my experience, I would not hesitate to recommend any of the Durst F and M series enlargers.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F30 is now in the hands of my nephew, so I can't do any measurements of it. But it sound similar, as the baseboard is about 14x14 inches.
    He does not print large, right now, so I figure the 8x10 max should be OK for him. And he only has 8x10 trays.
    If he does want to print big, he can figure out how to rotate the head to do a wall projection.

BTW, did you figure a way to secure the filter drawer.
    It seems quite easy to pull the drawer out, and I worry that my nephew might drop the drawer and crack the condenser lens, when he is setting up or taking down the enlarger. I told him to use masking tape, to tape the drawer in when moving the enlarger.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The F30 is now in the hands of my nephew, so I can't do any measurements of it. But it sound similar, as the baseboard is about 14x14 inches.
    He does not print large, right now, so I figure the 8x10 max should be OK for him. And he only has 8x10 trays.
    If he does want to print big, he can figure out how to rotate the head to do a wall projection.
    One thing I wish I would've done sooner (or had the room) is that it is very easy to spin the column around and put the baseboard on a short table or stool and project to the floor. Being the physicist I am, I seem to always gravitate toward the more difficult solutions...

On the occasion I drag out the 35mm kit, I still prefer using my F30.

Also, to other Durst users out there,

Does anyone know if the head of an M600/601/F60 will bolt onto the column of an F30?

I've found a couple deals on just heads from those enlargers, and wouldn't mind having a compact MF system for proofing and portfolio prints.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin