Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,648   Online: 1124

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I instructed in a community DR using B-22s. They were not designed to be portable like Durst. B-22s are rugged but dust migrates to the top of the negative after placing the carrier in the enlarger. Alignment and MF negative popping are issues. The print times are often too fast. The B-22 non XL column enlargement factor is limited as an easel aligned to the verticle hits the column. You can not correct for verticals as you can with a Durst 601.

The Durst M601 is ingenious as you can move the head out on the bearing mitigating the easel issue. The 601 glass carrier is a dust hassle and requires more care. Because of a loss of light from the Durst reflex design I use a bulb higher in wattage than 75W. You can buy the small color head insert for a 601 giving flexibility in which type of light source you wish to enlarge with. A diffused light source minimizes and makes spotting easier. On the other had good technique avoids dust. A condenser will better separate low tones if a goal in printing. I appreciate the thoughtful Durst design but the carrier is fiddly compared to my LPL 670 and therefore harder to use.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 02-13-2014 at 10:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Richard.

Is the negative carrier in the B-22 similar to the B-23, in that it can rotate smoothly to any angle? In which case, if you want to do a portrait/vertical alignment, can't you just turn the negative carrier instead of the easel?

When you say negative popping, do you mean coming out of the carrier, or just bending/flexing? If it is bending upwards, can you place a piece of ANR glass on top of the carrier to help hold it flat?

I really like the looks of the Durst M600, but there aren't any available near me currently. I've found the space where I can store the B-22. The only issue is weight, as I will need to carry the entire assembly into and out of the bathroom when setting up or taking down (so no Besler 23 for me). I may try adding wheels to whatever tabel setup I end up using, but I'll worry about that later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Richard,
    You must be using a different setup than I had used on my M600.
    I originally got the 150w bulb when I bought my M600, but that gave way too short exposure times. I think it was less than 5 sec, leaving no time to dodge the image.
    I then switched to the 75w PH211. That was better, but there were several times when I wished I could reduce the light level even more.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKrull View Post
    That is utterly awesome, and other than the inability to do larger than 35mm, would be absolutely ideal (it also gives me an idea of making my hardcase/base for whatever I end up with).

The filters seem to attach below the lens. I'm guessing getting replacement filters would be difficult? Can it use the Ilford sheet style filters (one of the photos in the link has some sort of opening showing that looks like a beseler's filter holder)?

The Durst F60 also looks really promising.
    That is the filter drawer pulled out in one of the photos in the link, the drawer is smaller then the normal Ilford multi filters so you need scissors.
    The thing below the lens is a red filter for setting up the borders on the paper before you do a print.
    It is a bit primitive but ok for small enlargements.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The B-22 neg carrier is hinged. The later Omega carriers are spring loaded so when you raise the head the carrier opens...nice. The carrier will not rotate like the B-23C. We had a B-23 in the DR and I liked it...especially the rotating carrier. But, it is not portable and frankly clunky looking....a good choice if you will enlarge 6x9 negs.

You can rotate a B-23 carrier from a horizontal to vertical orientation.

A B-22 heat can bend a medium format negative while in the carrier.

Concerning the Durst exposure times....I replaced the 75w with either a 100 or 150w bulb. After the change the Durst nearly matches the illumination brightness of my LPL 670 condenser. The LPL light source is directly on top of the condensers and more effiencent than a reflex system.

I much prefer a Leitz 1c or Valoy 2 to the 601 because of the semi-diffused Leitz light source and how the neg is squashed flat in the carrier.

I enlarge with Galerie fiber and seldom use RC paper. I open the enlarger aperture to one or two stops from full open. May explain differences in experience.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 02-14-2014 at 09:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Omega model with a rotating negative carrier, similar to the 23C, is the B-8. I use one and love it, but it's as large as the 23C, so not too portable.

GKC

Shooter
    Large Format
    I regret parting with my Durst F-30 a decade ago, but these days use enlargers are give away cheap. I have a Leitz ValloyII and a Meopta Opemus 4x4, whch are pretty fine machines. The Opemus handles 35, 120 & 127 negatives. IIRC I got tm fpor around $25ach and the Leitz came with the lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up the B-22 & accessories today. It is smaller and lighter than I expected (yea!). In fact, everything is smaller than expected. If I stick to developing 5x7s in the included 8x10 trays, I don't need a vertical rack, as I can fit all three trays on the shower floor (not the classiest option, but it'll do for now).

Thing is, three trays. Three trays seems to be the norm (patterson sells three packs of trays). But in class we use four: Dev, stop, fix, and rinse/wash. So, how do people use three trays? How do you rinse?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKrull View Post
    I picked up the B-22 & accessories today. It is smaller and lighter than I expected (yea!). In fact, everything is smaller than expected. If I stick to developing 5x7s in the included 8x10 trays, I don't need a vertical rack, as I can fit all three trays on the shower floor (not the classiest option, but it'll do for now).

Thing is, three trays. Three trays seems to be the norm (patterson sells three packs of trays). But in class we use four: Dev, stop, fix, and rinse/wash. So, how do people use three trays? How do you rinse?
    Not everyone uses a tray for the wash step - some use dedicated print washers, while others use plastic bins or cat litter trays or ...

And trust me, having trays on the shower floor will get really old, really fast (just thinking about it makes my back hurt).

See if you can find something to raise them up a bit. And you can put the wash tray on the floor.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congrats on the enlarger.

I second Matt's recommendation, get some kind of table or bench or platform to raise the trays to a half-way comfortable height. Or that will end up being one of the reasons you will give up printing.

As I recall your layout, I would make a platform for your enlarger over the tub. You can sit on a stool as you work the enlarger.
    Then make a counter extension over the toilet, so you can stand as your are processing the prints.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin