Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,912   Posts: 1,584,690   Online: 729

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "There is a lot of thought that a true grade 5 cannot be done with some dicro heads."

I have found I can't. At least as I said, with Ilford papers. Though I did go over that document the other day (I only read it some time ago to figure out filtration). It does mention that the reason is that the filtration in dichroic heads are meant for the sensitivity of colour papers. Not B&W VC. Which in terms of Ilford's sensitivity to yellow or magenta, make sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, and interested to hear your experience with the filters vs. dichro split filtering. I only tried split filtering with dichro myself. And through a standardized workflow, I tend to split filter pretty much every negative to get a consistency in my body of work that I print in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Split Grade: Dichroic vs. Filters

I have tried split-grade printing using both methods: under-the-lens filters and dichroic filtration (max. 170 Yellow & 170 magenta with my enlarger). It has been a while and my memory fails me, but I seem to remember I liked the results a little better with the filters. However, I find it more convenient to use dichroic filtration (turn of a knob vs. handling filters, especially when I'm using the 300mm enlarging lens).

I concluded that, unless the negative required that I used the under-the-lens filters, I would try using dichroic filtration instead.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find it much more convenient myself as well. Guilty pleasure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin