Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,737   Online: 931

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    A Darkroom Portrait -> Wet Side
    Wonderful link, thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The height of the front edge to match up to my forearm, so I don't have to lean over soo much, as on a low sink.
    Large enough for the biggest trays I can think of using.
    Temperature controlled faucet, for mixing chemicals and setting up water baths.
    The longer the sink is the more faucets I want, to avoid having to use a long hose and run back and forth to the faucet (an accident waiting to happen).
    Stainless steel would be ideal, but fiberglass or varnished plywood is more realistic for most of us.
    Setup with the print washer so the print washer can drain into the sink. Or if the washer is tall, set the washer at a convenient height and have a separate drain for it.
    Separate part of the sink for developing film vs paper. The layout of stuff is different. This gets more important if you do sheet film (4x5 and larger).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on your circumstances, you might find an L shaped sink placed into the corner of a room to be advantageous.

A combination of a deep, smaller sink (think laundry room) plus a wide, flat area with a fairly low edge/rim and a drain at one end can be an excellent one.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I am restricted to where the water source is, but as you say I can run long hoses.
    I had the space, so I put in stainless steel sinks, one long (7 ft) and one short (4 ft), end to end, each with backsplash, and are supported by stands that have height adjusters to set the slope toward the drains at the ends (I know... $$$$$$$). Each has a sprayer (kitchen type) for rinsing out at the end of each print session. Then I placed in each sink some plastic corrugated roofing material (cheap stuff - ~$12 - from H.Depot) that keeps trays off the colder sink to help maintain temp in the baths. Water supply is put through a filter and temp controller. Attached to the temp controller's outlet is one of these. Attached to 2 of the 4 outlets is one of these. One sends water through a hose into the long sink when a water jacket is needed for the trays, so that the flow can be turned on/off yet the flow rate setting remains unchanged. In a similar manner, the other sends water to the print washer in the short sink. The washer outlet goes through a flow meter, used in setting the flow rate. The other two outlets have 1) a short hose for rinsing film and 2) a longer hose with a PVC pipe on the end for rinsing paper (prior to squeegeeing for drying screens) and for mixing chems. Overhead is a stainless wire running the length of both sinks for hanging films to dry + film hangers and a supply of film clips. The wire is attached to wall studs and is tensioned with turnbuckles. Hope this description is understandable.
    Last edited by silveror0; 02-17-2014 at 10:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin