Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,204   Online: 858

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kaiser woes - blown PSU?

I set up to print the other day only to find my Kaiser 6002 (colour head) had blown a fuse in the PSU. The PSU is the K4451 stabilised version.

Replacement fuses arrived today (the correct T1.25A slow-blow) but it continues to blow the fuse whenever I switch on (yes, with the head connected )

I've investigated what I can: rewired the mains plug, replaced the bulb, had the lid off the PSU to look for any obvious shorts, but to no avail. I have no electrical test equipment, by the way.

Can't check the wiring within the head properly without dismantling the whole thing, which I'm loath to do lest I bugger up the colour filters. Though as I only use it for b&w VC printing that might not be the end of the world.

I think Fotospeed are the Kaiser Distributor for the UK so I'll drop them a line, but any further suggestions before I consign it to the spare room and give up printing until I can afford to have it looked at?

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Does the PSU contain a pcb with electronic components? The 6002 is not that young, some of the components might have reached the end of their life.

edit: after reading the description of the K4451 I think the electronics are blown. It might be an easy repair for a skilled person.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hehe yes the QC sticker inside the PSU says March 1989!; I got it for nothing from Freecycle, and unless I can get it repaired inexpensively I suspect it'll have to go to landfill. It seems a terrible shame, it's very solid and easy to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The PSU in my Kaiser enlarger broke down several years ago. I was an easy job for an electrician.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What is the bulb voltage? It might be easier to just replace the power supply.

If it's 12v, the power supplies for low voltage downlighting will work.

EDIT: According to the operating instructions, it is 12 volt. A lot of the downlighting transformers ar 60W (or marked 60VA). Look for one rated 100W (or 100VA) as you have a 75 watt bulb.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 02-20-2014 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course, yes, a non-kaiser cheapo unstabilised supply is the perfect solution - assuming that the problem is the PSU.

Curious how the utterly obvious solution is so hard to see sometimes!

Thanks all

EDIT: Blimey a quick google suggests I can pick up a 125W downlighting xformer for under a fiver ... new Kaiser unstablised one ~£120

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    assuming that the problem is the PSU
    There isn't much else. Just a bulb. If that's o.k. then it's likely the PSU is at fault.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yep. I simply wondered if there was a short where the cable clamp grips the 12V cable as it enters the lamp housing, but as I say, very difficult to get at without dismantling the head altogether.

The only problem I see with using a replacement lighting PSU is the lack of an on/off switch (which is integral with the Kaiser PSU) , but I'm sure I can work something out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    According to the operating instructions, it is 12 volt. A lot of the downlighting transformers ar 60W (or marked 60VA). Look for one rated 100W (or 100VA) as you have a 75 watt bulb..
    The halogen bulb in the colour head is 100W (you must have looked at the specification of the opal lamp for the black & white head)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin