Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,771   Online: 1036

Shooter
    35mm RF

The Focomat 1C and a autofocus adjustment issue...

I know this has been brought up here a couple of times before, but I'm having a different issue than the other threads address I think. Here's my set up:

1. A focomat 1c (obviously).

2. Using what I think is the original 50mm 4.5 focotar.

2. And what I think is the original Leitz easel.

So, I set the enlarger up at 10x magnification as instructed in the manual and focus using a magnifier. Then, I set the enlarger at 2.5 magnification, loosen the two screws that secure the cam, and then focus using the knurled screw that adjusts cam position. The only thing is, I've screwed that adjustment screw all the way in and I still can't quite get the image in sharp focus. I'm out of adjusting room.

Any idea of what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks so much in advance,

Ryan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    And I figured it out... When I set up the enlarger I set it up to be used without an easel instead of WITH an easel. That threw everything off. All is good in the world now at all scales.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
    And I figured it out... When I set up the enlarger I set it up to be used without an easel instead of WITH an easel. That threw everything off. All is good in the world now at all scales.
    There are two adjustments. The screw is for minimum size and the and the ring/sliders around the focus mount set focus at max size. You may have to go back and forth to get both correct at same time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Would it be possible to post a picture of cam with screws, and lens mount with ring/sliders, with your indications inside the image? I have used the 1C enlarger for ages, but never touched the cam. The automatic focus does work, but I always check it and sometimes improvise . . .

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Of course. I'll take some pictures this week.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I'd fing explanatory pictures of interest, too, as I have 1c Color in the basement that, regrettably, I've yet to use! So any tips on getting it set up properly would be welcome.

Shooter
    35mm
    Using a 1" easel, focus @ 10x, then 2.5x, then back to 10x.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    I'd fing explanatory pictures of interest, too, as I have 1c Color in the basement that, regrettably, I've yet to use! So any tips on getting it set up properly would be welcome.
    You start with a good cleaning:

Condensor, AN glass, spacer

- First remove the anti newton glass from the condensor and take out the condensor. Wash it in warmish water with some soap for the dishes. Use a soft sponge. These condensors often look ok, but when you look closely there's often a fine layer of dust on the top . . . Dry it with a soft piece of cloth. If you have the anti newton filter under the condensor, then inside the head on the rim where the condensor rests there should be a 3mm brazz spacer, to compensate for the height of the an glass. Often this spacer is missing, or there's a much thinner one. In the end I think you can enlarge without the spacer, but maybe the focus cam needs a correction.

- Clean the column with white spirits and put some vaseline on it.

- The Focomats have (red indicated) tiny holes for lubricating: 1 - 2 drops of sewing machine oil will do.

- Try to remove as much dust as possible from the insides of the head and bellows. It pays to bring it to someone who has a high-pressure blower. In particular inside the bellows there can be lots of unwanted dust bits . . .

- The outside of black Focomats becomes beautiful when you, after cleaning, apply the following (a former Leitz repairer told me this): put a bit (1 - 2 cm) of white spirits in an empty jar and add 4 - 5 drops of normal lubricating oil (more greasy than sewing machine oil) - stirr it with a clean paintbrush and just apply that to the black wrinkled parts of the enlarger. The white spirits evaporates, the oils stays . . . Better to cover smaller patches at one time, than to soak the enlarger . . .

- Normally the focus cam is set correctly. You always check the sharpness of the grain with each negative you print. But I am curious about the procedure of adjusting the cam.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin