Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,037   Online: 818

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Old news...new to me

I had a eureka moment in the darkroom today. I was cleaning up after mixing some new printing chemistry when I happened to notice the empty Ilford Fixer bottle (1 litre) that I'd just washed out and put aside looked suspiciously like the Jobo bottle I happened to set it beside.

I needed an extra Jobo bottle the other day and was lucky in having some old ones from an old CPP I'd bought from JDC a few years back when he left Vancouver. But the fact is now filed away for future reference.

Had it dawned on me, I would have searched here and LFF and found this fact had been reported years ago, and not had my moment. But I didn't.

The Ilford bottle has a bit smaller opening (~36mm vs. 42mm for the Jobo), but otherwise it seems about the same - it even fits just as well into the water bath positions of my CPA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1096.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	631.1 KB 
ID:	83088

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    IMHO , Square bottles are more ergonomic , I always disliked them. Photography is about continious tones generally and square does not feel good. I loved big round bottles , I dont like square glass bottles also. Ilford bottles looks like milk or juice bottles and they are good for stacking in markets or safer transportation but these two dont interest me.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Everyone who's opinion matters knows that you get much better contrast and tonality from developer which is kept in octagonal bottles!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've heard that hexagonal bottles give you more shadow detail and prevent the highlights from blocking :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    IMHO , Square bottles are more ergonomic , I always disliked them. Photography is about continious tones generally and square does not feel good. I loved big round bottles , I dont like square glass bottles also. Ilford bottles looks like milk or juice bottles and they are good for stacking in markets or safer transportation but these two dont interest me.

Straight cut film with rectangular shaped negatives must get you down. Stay away from 6x6 format, the square is particularly tone disrupting. :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot 6x6, so I have to use chemistry from square bottles, if I use round bottles I get vignetting...
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are all wrong! Dodecahedronal bottles produce the smoothest tonal changes of any bottle shape, and are beautiful to just sit and stare at...endlessly...for.....hours....
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's no rational reason to prefer round bottles. I like the square ones. The only thing I don't like is that the Ilford bottle apparently leak air. I lost over half a bottle of Harman WT developer finding that out. Now when I open one I immediately pour into other bottles.

I'd certainly use them for extra tempering bottles for my Jobo though, if I needed any.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    You are all wrong! Dodecahedronal bottles produce the smoothest tonal changes of any bottle shape, and are beautiful to just sit and stare at...endlessly...for.....hours....
    Now that we've completely and needlessly hijacked the OPs thread ... I bet dodechadrenal bottles that are half-full produce better tonal changes and ranges than ones that are half-empty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Rahman View Post
    Now that we've completely and needlessly hijacked the OPs thread ... I bet dodechadrenal bottles that are half-full produce better tonal changes and ranges than ones that are half-empty.
    Hmm... I'll have to run the appropriate tests to verify findings.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin