Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,326   Posts: 1,536,954   Online: 1208

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Old Jobo CPP Lift issues

I have an elderly CPP2+ which I have used for many years to develop film, and which I have been very happy with it, doing B&W as well as E-6 in formats from 35mm to 4x5 in both 1500 seris and 2500 series drums.

I recently acquired a 3063 drum to be able to process 16x20 and 20x24 prints - this is the first time that I have used an expert drum with my system.

There is a slidy switch on the lift which redirects the flow between the upper and lower ports on the lift. I moved this switch to the upper position, and when pouring the chemical into the drum the first time, it worked fine.

When draining the drum, if I lift the lift all the way, the switch seems to move to the lower position by itself, and the drum drains into the water bath rather than through the drain tube. Is this the way things are supposed to work? How do I recover my chemicals for reuse or proper disposal?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mark,

The older style lifts have 4 little clamps on the funnel selector which clamp on and hold the tube which diverts the flow.
    Over time, heat and oxidation can weaken the grip these clamps have or they sometimes break off. Unfortunately, there is not much to do in this case short of replacing that part (#07076), or alternatively, upgrading your lift to a new style (or replacing the whole lift with a new style unit).

Many users who experience this problem use a small piece of metal wire to secure the diverter to the up or down position. This is not ideal, as it takes a while to move the funnel if you move back and fourth, but it is a temporary fix that works.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatLABS View Post
    Mark,

Over time, heat and oxidation can weaken the grip these clamps have or they sometimes break off. Unfortunately, there is not much to do in this case short of replacing that part (#07076), or alternatively, upgrading your lift to a new style (or replacing the whole lift with a new style unit).

Thanks - I will probably do the metal wire trick until I can upgrade. I'd like to move to a whole new unit - possibly the CPP3+ but it won't happen this week!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    My lift gears have gotten out of whack. It simply won't lift. I now do what I have read many do with Expert tanks. I stop the rotation at the time I want to dump, lift the tank out of the Jobo and dump over the side into my sink. The exception is when I am dumping fix and the first water flush after that. Those go into a gallon jug for safer disposal than my septic system. For you this would mean no repair at all is needed.

I have an arrangement with the local university. They allow me to dump my fixer from film development and paper printing in their silver recovery equipment. The silver makes a very small contribution to their expenses and we both are a little greener for the effort. I took four gallons in today.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A lift assist handle might help you with your expert drums.
    As for the lift that doesnt lift - it is possible the main rack inside the lift has given out, or that the housing of the rack is damaged in some way. I have never see that happen, so i think it is more likely that the rack is just out of position so that it does not mesh with gear on the housing.

This can also be fixed, but the time to take the lift apart, replace any damaged parts, and put it back together may not be worth the effort, when replacement complete new style lift arms are available as a spare part.
    CatLABS of JP
    Darkroom resources and service

www.catlabs.info | https://www.facebook.com/CatLABS.of.JP | www.jobo-usa.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin