Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,459   Online: 910

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

24 exposure 35mm reels

There just ended on Ebay an auction for a stainless tank and four 35mm reels. Two of the reels were listed as being 24 exposure, and the other two 36 exposure. From the picture, that is exactly what it looked like! The reels were all the same width, but two of them had fewer and wider spaced spirals.

Now, I am not totally omniscient, :rolleyes: but I've been doing this for, well, a long time, and I've never heard of 24 exposure reels.

Anybody else?

I bid mostly out of curiousity, so I didn't go very high (and didn't win, obviously).

Are there 24 exposure reels? Seems they would be easier to load. However, I don't have trouble with the standard reels, but I do use mostly 24 exposure film.

And, if they are very old, they could be 20 frames, not 24, since that's the way film used to come IIRC! With a 24, you'd have about 6 inches too much film.

Or, are they 126 reels?

Inquiring minds want to know ...

Cheers y'all.

David

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Bizarre. You might have some interesting collectible photographica on your hands.

I vaguely remember that there was a 72 exposure reel and tank during that brief period in the heyday of the high speed motor drive, when Ilford was selling HP5 on a thin base in 72-exposure rolls. It never really caught on. Maybe it was the special reels. Maybe it was that the thin film base didn't stand up to the motor drive.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There used to be 20-exposure 35mm reels because 35mm film was sold in both 20 and 36 exposure lengths. The 20-exposure 35mm film was changed to 24-exposure years ago. I don't remember there ever being a 24-exposure reel, however. They are probably 20-exposure reels. They were pretty common.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    They are probably 20-exposure reels. They were pretty common.
    Thanks, Lee.

This is what I thought: 20 exposures. And I was a little leary of getting the extra 6 inches on the reel. I didn't win the auction anyway.

I didn't know about them before! That is interesting.

Cheers

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What a silly seller. The 20-exposure reels are obviously rare collectibles, and should have been sold as such at a much higher price.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    ... rare collectibles, ...
    Speaking of rare collectibles, what of my Omega C
    3 1/4 x 4 1/4 enlarger. I got it off eBay. I think the
    S&H ran as much as the C.

I've done a lot of eBay shopping for Omega gear
    but have not since seen another C. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Collectables?

Nonsense. I use mine.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one of those reels, too -- it is significantly over capacity for 828 Bantam film, which is about the same length as 12 exposure 126. The 126-20 would certainly fit. A 24 exposure roll of 35 mm might, depending on your comfort level with cutting the leader and tail at loading time instead of waiting to see where the actual exposed frames are.

For 35 mm, however, even when I cut a half roll in the changing bag to pull test shots, I just use the regular 36 exposure roll.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin