Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,075   Online: 799

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    T400CN is not the first choice when printing on classical B&W paper. This film is designed for the minilab for printing (neutral B&W prints) on RA-4 color paper.
    If you want to use chromogene B&W film and print on classical B&W paper, use the Ilford XP2 super, best on iso 250 and normally C41 development.
    Use the right Split Grade settings on the Heiland and your results will be fine.

Nevertheless a classical B&W film is in my opinion better than these mentioned options. Correct B&W development is more difficult than the standard C41. In fact you need to optimize your development. Even Split Grade from Heiland can not fix a lousy negative which needs grade 0,5 or 4,5.

I wish you the best results in your darkroom.

Best regards,

Robert

www.FotohuisRoVo.nl

Robert,

Thanks.....I have been printing T400CN for about 2 years without the Splitgrade and it's worked well on Polycontrast paper although manipulation of contrast is definately needed. You have explained something to me that makes a lot of sense and this has been a real eye-opener for me. No one else has told me this and I think it explains a lot.

Separately, I have been thinking of going back to Tri-X because I like the "look better." This is another reason to do it--ease of printing.

Thanks again.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg
    Robert,

I get much better results with my Tri-X film and had some good prints with it.

I guess I wasn't expecting to use the compensation features a lot but I have to try.

Thanks for all of your help; Its been great.
    persevere with the Heiland it is a great bit of gear, do get the upgrade from Heiland, you can download them from thier website or they will send them to you ona disc.

I find that I have to use the density compensation settings for various developer/ paper combinations but you can store the changes for future use

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin