Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,991   Online: 853

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

New darkroom, old questions

It appears that my Wile E. Coyote black-out scheme is working in the new darkroom (actually a plumbed bedroom with a giant window designed to bring in light. The ground rules were, no nails, screws or gorilla tape into new hardwood trim. Take the pepsi challenge sometime, for fun.)

Anyway, after 10m with a dim red light and another 5 in the dark, a few touch-ups aside, the room is black. But I noticed the dials on my Omega timer had a faint flourescent glow that I had never noticed before. My previous darkroom had a film change room. Is this an issue with opening film cannisters? Also, the 60 minute timer also has a faint glow. Do these need to be covered when working with film? Both are very faint, but one less thing to remember to do would be helpful.

Question #2: I had read several threads about LED red and amber lights, and my understanding is for the reds I'm looking for 630-635nm, is this correct?

Any comments or wisdom on these topics would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I either cover my gralab timer or work turned away from it (body between timer and film) and things are fine.

Wisdom's already shared for LEDs. They are cheap enough to get and test so you can be sure they work for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use bags from photo paper on my timers. just cut a piece that covers the timer, tape it with gaffer tape so you have a flap over the timer. flip up to use the timer, down to cover it. I am probably a little too paranoid about those things....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SRT-102 | XD-5 | XD-11 | XE-7 | Hi-Matic 9 | Hi-Matic 11 | Sears 35RF | Minolta 5D | Sony A300 | Mamiya C220 | Bronica SQ-a | Yashica YK | Minolta Maxxum 7000 | Pentax K1000 | Speed Graphic 23

http://blisslars.tumblr.com/

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did some tests on this and concludedthat the lumination is too minute to harm film of ISO400 or belowif you keep a distance of 3feet minand limit exposure to 10 min or less,in other wordsunlikely to be a problem for normal film change or processing procedures.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I did some tests on this and concludedthat the lumination is too minute to harm film of ISO400 or belowif you keep a distance of 3feet minand limit exposure to 10 min or less,in other wordsunlikely to be a problem for normal film change or processing procedures.
    Same here
    I use almost exclusively ASA 400 film (HP5), and my darkroom has a few sources of light like this - the dials on a couple of timers, as well as some glow-in-the-dark stickers on light switches etc. I handle sheet film in this environment so I was concerned. I did a test where I laid a sheet of film on the counter in the dark, emulsion up, with a coin on the middle of it, and left it for 10 minutes then developed it - and saw a clear sheet of film.

Regarding temporary window darkening - I used to have a temporary darkroom not unlike yours - I made panels out of insulating foam sheet which fit tightly into the window frames. The foam has a metallic covering which I made face out so that it didn't get too hot inside, and I taped a fabric fringe around the edge. This panel could be pushed into the window opening blacking out the window, and easily removed - no nails, no tape, nothing nasty.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would feel confident using nails, screws, and duct tape. That's why they sell wood filler and paint. And a lot of products will take the tape residue off w/o a trace.

My glow-in-the-dark timer has no effect on film or prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    Question #2: I had read several threads about LED red and amber lights, and my understanding is for the reds I'm looking for 630-635nm, is this correct?
    Peak 635nm reds is what I use. You may have already run across my earlier posts and found that number mentioned.

One thing to keep in mind is that some LEDs also emit small spikes of blue and green. Mine do. These spikes are sometimes visible when the red light is reflected at the right angle from CDs or DVDs. My red LEDs are therefore also fortified with a covering sheet of Rubylith.

My pre-flashed and tested safe times for Ilford MGIV (the old version, both FB and RC) are in excess of 60 minutes.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, everybody. Any recommended source for said 635nm lights would be appreciated.

I have had a lot of problems with building in this room. I am closer to carpentry, plumbing and electrical than photography at this point.

This whole build out would have been easier when I was younger and didn't have any money.

Shooter
    Large Format
    When the crack under the door lets in too much light, or the time dial glows too bright, you can make the darkroom darker by closing your eyes. Don't laugh. I think I might be guilty of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Ullsmith View Post
    Thanks, everybody. Any recommended source for said 635nm lights would be appreciated.
    Here is the spec sheet for the follow-on bulbs to the ones I'm currently using. These are 2-watts, mine are 1-watt earlier versions.

OptiLED Festival H13-VF

But I'm not sure they are still in production or in the pipeline. These days product lifecycles only last 10 minutes, so it's really hard if you happen to be cursed with an attention span longer than that.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin