Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,554   Posts: 1,545,007   Online: 755

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

placing multigrade filters above lens

Hello
    I am using an older (blue) beseler 45 mcrx enlarger with a cold light source. I can't figure our how to put multigrade filters below the lens. Can I place the gel type filters above the lens by removing the lens board and placing the filter above the lens and then replacing the lens board. Is there another option?
    charlie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just gave away that same model enlarger to a needy friend. It has a filter drawer above the lens where you put filters. My Omega D2V also takes its filters above the lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey Terry,
    I've wondered about that. I've never used the red filter but I know it's a piece of plexiglass which is quite stiff. Hoh do I get either the mounter or the gel type filters robust enough to work back and forth in this filter "drawer"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The gel filters for above the lens will hold up quite well.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    The gel filters for above the lens will hold up quite well.
    Yes, indeed. And particularly because they go above the lens, the filter does not have to be perfect.

When you put it under the lens it's more important that there are no imperfections since the light shone through the filter is what reaches the paper surface. When it's in the filter drawer above the lens, it's less sensitive to imperfections, because the light is yet to travel through the negative.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    And particularly because they go above the lens, the filter does not have to be perfect.
    NO.

Any filter placed between the film and the paper, nonwithstanding on which side of the lens should be as good as possible.

However, a filter above the film can be of lesser optical quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    NO.

Any filter placed between the film and the paper, nonwithstanding on which side of the lens should be as good as possible.

However, a filter above the film can be of lesser optical quality.
    Above the film is what I meant. Isn't that where filter drawers are usually located?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, that's where they are. But as above in this thread there was reference to taking out the lens and putting the filter above it, at least in this context your "above the lens" is ambiguous. Thus my correction.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My original Beseler 45 was an ancient model with a condenser light source and no facility for using filters above the film. I bought a later Beseler 45 condenser light source off ebay which included a drawer for placing filters above the lens. Kodak used to make a filter holder designed for (roughly) 3 1/4 x 3 1/4 filters held below the lens. It was held on by plastic thumbscrews. They came in a kit including the filters in a nice little plastic box. I used such a kit until I got the light source with the above-the-negative filter tray, which I like much, much better. If you need the below the lens kit I imagine that you can probably still find them on ebay.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you opt for below the lens filters, they must be of perfect optic quality, or it could distort the enlarged image or possibly show dust and/or surface reflections if they aren't kept spotless. My above the film set have smudges on some of them, but is not an issue as they never show up. I suppose I should invest in a new set.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin